Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-07-2007, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New website design...need input.

I threw together a home page for our new site and wanted some opinions on what graphics should go where. There is flash files that will be uploaded soon, but all the blank space needs some ideas. Can anyone help?

http://www.cincinnatilandscapes.com
Old 01-09-2007, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

At a glance looks like your same web site that's always been here...did you miss something in the link?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good to me. Does making a web page take alot of computer coding or something. Can anyone figure it out. Might be a stupid question, but there you go.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMan View Post
At a glance looks like your same web site that's always been here...did you miss something in the link?
No Webman, I've redirected the site as I begin construction. I want new content and a lot of it. I just don't know what content I want? I am looking to use this site as SEO of sorts. The SEO friendly domain can have leverage that our other site did not.

I am strictly brainstorming at this time. I have a layout, but it doesn't strike me as "good", so I will be starting from scratch.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALKER LANDSCAPE View Post
Looks good to me. Does making a web page take alot of computer coding or something. Can anyone figure it out. Might be a stupid question, but there you go.
This website was up in no time, just like building a store front. It's easy to stock the shelves, but getting people to look around is time consuming and a headache. Pay someone to do that! If you want to do your own site, you may want to get Macromedia Studio 8. It will help you a lot if you can't read code. I can barely read html and am lost with CSS styles and Flash stuff. If you can learn it yourself, you can save thousands of dollars, but that's what a college degree is for.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Guess I'm confused or missing something, it looks like both links go to the same site
Old 01-09-2007, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Depends on what you do. Some programs like Macromedia have a pretty steep learning curve.
Others are more simple, many hosts offer free site building software but look for a free trial to see if it works for you. Some programs don't let you edit the code tags needed to help with search engines, others do. Some are pretty limited, some kind-of hard to use, etc.
There is a lot of "stuff" out there, Macromedia is now part of Adobe so you can use the full studio mentioned above or just Dreamweaver (the web site part) or Adobe GoLive or for starters just to get your feet wet; there is a free download of FrontPage (the soon to be replaced Microsoft software) somewhere on Microsoft's web site (so I've been told)
...however I urge people to beware of the new Microsoft web software ("Expressions"...available as trials that expire next month) because unlike FrontPage they will require you to have a Windows Server host which limits your hosting choices by at least 2/3 or more.
To really learn coding there is also a popular program called Homesite which is a "beginner" web site building program for learning coding as you go.
Just some ideas...none is really "best"... it's whatever works best for you.

I also encourage people to consider what their time is worth and if they really want to learn site building when making a decision. If you can have a nice site with good search results built for $300 consider if you could be "working" doing what you do and the amount of time it takes you to make $300 vs. the time you spend making a web site. (Unless you are snowed in with nothing but time)

Like I have had many people ask why I don't work on my own vehicles over the years. It's because I am no mechanic and in the time it would take me to figure out how to do anything more than changing an air cleaner or whatever and maybe have to buy some special tools...I can be doing the work I know and make enough to pay the mechanic to do what he knows
Old 01-18-2007, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Very nice job on your site!! It presents a very attractive and professional appearance which obvioiusly reflects your business etc. Nice work!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I set up a website for company softball team one time. Obviousley I didnt want to spend much money to do it as it was just supposed to be a fun thing. I used Microsoft Publisher to do it. It was fairly easy after you got the hang of it, but very time consuming. I finally stopped updating it about halfway through the season. Although it was cheap (10 for the domain and 7 or 10/month for hosting, and I had Office) the site looked like a template and nothing else. If I were to start my own business I would have someone design the site for me and host it. It would be well worth it. The site that I used for hosting and website design for a past website was seriouswebsolutions.com.

Hope this helps,
Eric

Old 01-19-2007, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMan View Post
Guess I'm confused or missing something, it looks like both links go to the same site
Both links ARE going to the same site right now because I'm redirecting the domain until the new site is finished. I am trying to be creative in how we use that domain.