Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-26-2006, 03:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Equipment mfg'ing suggestion...

One of the things I find most frustrating is the spark plug wire.
Fair enough, some are made of a half-decent quality and can last many years, and the dealer feeds me good bull but in the end it's still a spark plug wire and no offense, but in most cases I at least question the quality.

Take a car, for instance. Now I run all Taylor 8mm wires on them, and thou they say you can run these for 5-10 years, I find the lifespan to be closer to 4 (at which point exchanging them results in an improvement)...
Meanwhile, some guys replace theirs every year.

But I can't do that with a 2-cycler.
First I have no choice as to what kind of wire I can run, it's what I am given, and like it or not.
And what if I like Accel's 8mm 300+ wire?

But the worst part of it all is, when the stupid boot slips or for any other reason the wire filament slips out from the metal piece that holds on to the spark plug, I have a serious problem.

Now today I managed to rig one such machine back up, they do run without the boot, but it's not the way to do things.

The part that frustrates me the most is, while the auto parts store is open most anytime, I can't just buy a coil-to-plug wire to replace the one that's broken because the entire coil has to be replaced. But even that wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to wait for days or weeks until the part comes in as it has to be ordered.

The first manufacturer who makes a coil and wire independent of each other would provide a lifesaver for the operator.

On that note, it would be super nice if the coil was of a standard automotive make as well.
So if I wanted to stick a Flamethrower coil in there, I can!

You can only imagine how nice it would be to have the ability to run to the autoparts store and get either a coil or a single ignition coil wire, and be fixed up within 1-2 hours (vs. days or weeks).

Last edited by topsites; 11-26-2006 at 03:50 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As long as the manufacturers are making at least 20% of their gross on replacement parts, I believe things will stay the same.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

MAKE YOUR LIFE EAISER
NEVER GONNA HAPPEN
they like sticking it to ya
Old 11-27-2006, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So just buy a roll of plug wire and a set of ends and boots. You can buy 25 ft rolls of 8-10mm wire and a pack of 8 boots and ends for less than $50 at Summit or Jegs.

I doubt there's going to be much difference in resistance between 8mm and 10.5mm over a 6 inch piece of wire so if bigger is more expensive, go cheap. If they are about the same price, go big.

Should last you a lifetime.

Andy
Old 11-29-2006, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It dawned on me that using an automotive coil wouldn't work because of the magneto
Well it would, but by then we'd also need a distributor, cap and rotor...
Still, the wire could be independent from the coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATWEASEL
So just buy a roll of plug wire and a set of ends and boots. You can buy 25 ft rolls of 8-10mm wire and a pack of 8 boots and ends for less than $50 at Summit or Jegs.

I doubt there's going to be much difference in resistance between 8mm and 10.5mm over a 6 inch piece of wire so if bigger is more expensive, go cheap. If they are about the same price, go big.

Should last you a lifetime.

Andy
I'll have to get into one of these coils, see how easy it would be to just replace the wire.