Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-26-2006, 08:34 AM
nobagger's Avatar
nobagger nobagger is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 3,068
any one still getting calls for...

Any one still getting calls for mowing? It was in the 60's yesterday and sunny, a beautiful day! And I got 3 calls for mowing yesterday 2 from established customers and 1 from some one who just moved in a few houses down. I had to tell them I just winterized my equipment and they were like dear in headlights "oh, ummm, well, ummm, geez, oh boy etc. ITS ALMOST FREAKIN DECEMBER! There should be a foot of snow on the ground by now, they still act like its Sept. out.
__________________
J and B Lawncare:

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-26-2006, 08:56 AM
lawncare18 lawncare18 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Syracuse ny
Posts: 743
I would pull it back out and go to work.. money is money .. may not snow for anohter 2 months.. I had to pull my mower back out .. if someone wants work im there to do it.. if not they will just call somoene else and you could loose them!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-26-2006, 09:04 AM
GreenN'Clean GreenN'Clean is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,512
I got 10 to cut tomorrow and did 5 yesterday i will gladly pull my mowers back out to make money. I'm with lawncare18 if someone wants me to work I'm going to do it. You snooze you loose in this business!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-26-2006, 09:05 AM
crzymow crzymow is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 378
I'm still doing cleanups, which includes mowing after i get the leaves.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-26-2006, 09:20 AM
JTF40's Avatar
JTF40 JTF40 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chapmansboro, Tennessee
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobagger
Any one still getting calls for mowing? It was in the 60's yesterday and sunny, a beautiful day! And I got 3 calls for mowing yesterday 2 from established customers and 1 from some one who just moved in a few houses down. I had to tell them I just winterized my equipment and they were like dear in headlights "oh, ummm, well, ummm, geez, oh boy etc. ITS ALMOST FREAKIN DECEMBER! There should be a foot of snow on the ground by now, they still act like its Sept. out.
You should go and take care of them. You may be hungry one day and remember the ones YOU turned away. Be thankful for the calls.......
__________________
A MILLIONAIRE IS TOTALLY BROKE - WITHOUT THEIR CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY !!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Gatewayuser's Avatar
Gatewayuser Gatewayuser is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,727
Number 1 you never winterize anything in Nov. I usually don't until Jan. Go mow the lawns unless you want to lose customers and create snow mold on the lawns. I am still mowing and the last cut will be on Tuesday but I have cleanups, ect. until January.
__________________
9th year in business, still going strong!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-26-2006, 10:07 AM
lawncare18 lawncare18 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Syracuse ny
Posts: 743
I will mow until january if thats what it takes.. and trust me im not the only landscaper still out mowing and working.. they are all over around here.. get to work!!! I would be mad to if i called somoene and they refused to service me.. you would be gone and another company in.. i know some will think im crazy on here.. but if the phones rining im working no matter what
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Jpocket's Avatar
Jpocket Jpocket is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 2,250
I understand both sides here...alot of guys like myself are ready to wrap the mowing and clean-ups for the year so they can focus on snow...

Really though, how much do you think those 3 mows would amount to? $90-$150. Especially for a one time cut. IF they are regular customers i would def. do them.

Also at this point in the year, most ppl. have made the big money...so they lose motivation to go do a few spotty jobs.
__________________


Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Gatewayuser's Avatar
Gatewayuser Gatewayuser is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpocket
I understand both sides here...alot of guys like myself are ready to wrap the mowing and clean-ups for the year so they can focus on snow...

Really though, how much do you think those 3 mows would amount to? $90-$150. Especially for a one time cut. IF they are regular customers i would def. do them.

Also at this point in the year, most ppl. have made the big money...so they lose motivation to go do a few spotty jobs.
I hear you, but my jobs it could mean losing $10k a year now if that does not motivate me then there is something wrong.
__________________
9th year in business, still going strong!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-26-2006, 03:56 PM
nobagger's Avatar
nobagger nobagger is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatewayuser
Number 1 you never winterize anything in Nov. I usually don't until Jan. Go mow the lawns unless you want to lose customers and create snow mold on the lawns. I am still mowing and the last cut will be on Tuesday but I have cleanups, ect. until January.
Well we already had 1 plowing snowfall this year which caught every one with their pants down except me and a few others. I need to take my trailer and the equipment to a storage building by the end of November or I loose out on the space that I want. And I don't leave my customer's lawns in bad shape for the winter so snow mold is not a factor. They more or less wanted us to "cut" the lawn and bagging it to suck up leaves which is fine but these 2 customer's didn't like to pay for any extra with bagging leaves so I really don't feel like pulling all of my stuff back out for them. Our climates are somewhat different as well, my parents lived in Cincy and we went to visit them a few times in Dec. and Feb. and it was in the 50's and 60's and up here in NWPA-snow and in the 20's, so yeah your gonna be mowing later than us.
__________________
J and B Lawncare:

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 AM.

Page generated in 0.09690 seconds with 7 queries