Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-27-2006, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

other contractors at my worksite

It seems to happen to me a lot, and more than ever recently!

I went to do maintenance at my customers property and he had a tree company bringing down trees. It cost me thirty minutes windshield time!

Sometimes I have been able to do the work, but unless we are both working solo, there often seems to be some negative interaction.

I once spent three days working at the same property where a carpenter was building a deck, we both had two employees, and lots of materials, and it got crowded fast. I had to reschedule some stuff and ended up overbudget and behind schedule. The customer had screwed up the scheduling and it cost her.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I ask the home owner to please let me know if other service providers( tree,spray service or anyone in the yard) will be on the property in advanced so I can change my schedule so I am the only on in the yard. I dont like working around other crews,Its just an accident waiting to happen.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusmowin
I ask the home owner to please let me know if other service providers( tree,spray service or anyone in the yard) will be on the property in advanced so I can change my schedule so I am the only on in the yard. I dont like working around other crews,Its just an accident waiting to happen.

Same here.

I get the deck builders, wire buriers etc. in my way and it just does not work.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

One of my customers was in the middle having her house painted, I start at her house at 8:00am. The reason I start at her house is she puts her dogs in the house so they don't bother me. I show up about 8:15 and there's 5 painters sitting on their tail gates, they watch me pull up and get started to mow, they watched me do the whole yard. Turns out she told them to show up about 9:00am that morning. She told them that she had me coming to mow on that morning. I thought that was cool of her to have them wait for me and stay out of my way! I'm just as important as the next guy.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

i had a lady that would do that to me....it kind of ticked me off, but i just tried to work around it.

i dont work for her anymore.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Another good reason to get customers on a flat-rate plan...sooner or later you run into contractors in the way and either have to skip it or drive out of your way later.

For some reason painters seems pretty good about moving their stuff out of my way.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
For some reason painters seems pretty good about moving their stuff out of my way.
haha its probably because they dont like grass clippings on fresh paint.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we had a siding co at one of our houses last summer that took 2 months to finish the job- no joke...every week we showed up they would still be screwing around...they even brought thier own grill and would cook up burgers while they were standing around talking...we just mowed around all their crap and skipped the trimming every week..or course they would all stop working and stand around and watch us mow...never seen anything like 'em
Old 11-28-2006, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have one customer that has been having all kinds of work done (roof, piaint ect. ) been tring to finish clean up for 3 weeks now. just did it yesterday finialy she was the only acct. left on the street where we mow 13 others
Old 11-28-2006, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had one yesterday that had roofers and was my last acct. to finish. It was only to mow, but it will wait until spring now.
With painters just start up the blower. lol