Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-27-2006, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

problems with 15hp kawasaki

hey guys i've been having problems with my 15hp kawasaki it runs fine when idleing but it has problems when engaging the blades (it stalls out when cutting grass). there seems to be a power loss and i can't fix it. i've checked the spark plugs, put in a new air filter and fuel filter and it doesn't seem to help. it seems to me like its not getting enough gas so could it be the carb.

what do you guys think
Old 11-27-2006, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How did you check the plugs? could be the coil?..............Based on your comments...sounds like a dead cylinder. Bad plug or coil. To check: you need to start machine and pull off a plug wire. If the machine goes dead.....you pulled the wire off the good side. Once you find the bad side....switch the plugs. if still nothing...check the coil on that side.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke125
hey guys i've been having problems with my 15hp kawasaki it runs fine when idleing but it has problems when engaging the blades (it stalls out when cutting grass). there seems to be a power loss and i can't fix it. i've checked the spark plugs, put in a new air filter and fuel filter and it doesn't seem to help. it seems to me like its not getting enough gas so could it be the carb.

what do you guys think

Is it blowing any smoke
Old 11-27-2006, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had a similar problem with my Viking, when I engaged the blades it would loose power, like its starving for fuel like yours, It was the engage lever not in adjustment and it kept slowly slipping down and interfering with the power. I cant remember if it was just the engage lever that they adjusted or that plus a new belt.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 11-27-2006, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

+1 on the bad coil. With a hot summer, we had 2 go this year. A new one is about $50. To fix, it is as easy as taking off the air filter cover, unscrewing the 4 bolts on the top cover, and unscrewing the one bolt that holds the coil.

Our 15 Kawi ran so smooth on just the one cylinder, I was amazed. It just had no power when it came to turning blades and cutting grass. My guys actually cut on the one cylinder for half a day before calling me. Makes ya wonder, do I really need all of those 15 horses?!?!
Old 11-27-2006, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobagger
I had a similar problem with my Viking, when I engaged the blades it would loose power, like its starving for fuel like yours, It was the engage lever not in adjustment and it kept slowly slipping down and interfering with the power. I cant remember if it was just the engage lever that they adjusted or that plus a new belt.

you've reminded me that this happened to me also, I had forgot about it. My Toro WB would die if I hit a bump or ran into taller grass, just weird times, then it started to get worse. Sure enough it ended up being the deadmans switch. Once that was swapped out she's been running great.

www.greenmountainlandscape.com