Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-27-2006, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

hitch plate on a Z??

im lookin into buyin a new mower for next season. I am currently towin a 4X6 trailer behind a 16 hp tractor. the trailer holds a trimmer, bp blower sometimes two, wb edger, toolbox, a 5 gallon and 3 gallon gas can and sometimes a helper. do you think that that amount is too much for a 16 horse tractor?

for next yr i am, on a budget of $2000-$2500, buyin either a used walk behind or zero trun rider mower. do zero turns have any type of hitch on them and if not would I be able to fabricate one? also towin a 48 in wb and trailer with the tractor would definently be too heavy, right?

thanks
Old 11-27-2006, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Some manufacturers actually make and sell hitch plates for their ztr's. Check their websites under options/accessories.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Likely all Z's can be equipped with a bolt on hitch. I have two Hustlers and they both have 4 bolt plates where a hitch attaches. I do run a hitch on my smaller 52" Hustler. I pull a dump cart and a fertilizer spreader with it.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor Lawns
im lookin into buyin a new mower for next season. I am currently towin a 4X6 trailer behind a 16 hp tractor. the trailer holds a trimmer, bp blower sometimes two, wb edger, toolbox, a 5 gallon and 3 gallon gas can and sometimes a helper. do you think that that amount is too much for a 16 horse tractor?

for next yr i am, on a budget of $2000-$2500, buyin either a used walk behind or zero trun rider mower. do zero turns have any type of hitch on them and if not would I be able to fabricate one? also towin a 48 in wb and trailer with the tractor would definently be too heavy, right?

thanks
I have no idea how you are going to get a ZTR, even a used one, for $2500, but my Exmark came with a hitch plate. However, I took it off and replaced it with the one that came with the Cyclone Rake I bought afterwards. I don't know if it can be used on some other ZTR, but if you want the original one, you can have it. Send me a PM. You and I are in the same county.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Choppers come with a piece of 4" by 4" 1/4" thick angle iron welded to the rear for your hitch. It will easily pull your trailer with a 48" walkbehind in it.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I wish someone would settle the issue as to whether it does any harm to pull stuff like a plugger with a Z mower.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrymow
I wish someone would settle the issue as to whether it does any harm to pull stuff like a plugger with a Z mower.
Pull what you like with a Dixie.