Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-19-2015, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have to tap on my starter to start. what gives?

do i need parts or a whole new starter?

everride warrior with 27hp kohler command
Old 05-19-2015, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your starter is dying.

Repair or replace
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2015, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Should be able to have it rebuilt but wouldn't hurt to just replace. I'm not a big fan of putting on a band aid so I'd replace it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2015, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

its not the SOLENOID?
Old 05-19-2015, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Many of the twin Kohler engines use a solenoid shift style starter and sometimes the shift fork of the solenoid will hang up due to debris build up. If it were mine I'd remove the starter from the engine, remove the solenoid from the starter and inspect the operation of the solenoid & shift fork. You may need some special tools such as a female torx socket as some of the solenoid bolts are that style. Clean out the whole assembly as best as possible. Kohler makes a special lubricant for their starters. Sometimes you get lucky and they work again, but sometimes not. Depends on age, number of starts and number of hits received.

For the sake of your starter, please stop hitting it as you may have already damaged the internal magnets. Your starter may be out of warranty but Kohler will not warranty a starter that has evidence of being struck.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I ordered the whole thing for $60 from amazon.

cant mess around for $60
Old 06-11-2015, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i ordered the amazon one but it sounded bad and would just spin. After $28 in shipping to send it back i went ahead and had my old one serviced.

They cleaned and put a new solenoid on it.

So far i haven't had to tap on it.... but it sounds a bit funny sometimes.

Also both my kohlers (2 everride warriors) wont start sometimes when you turn the key. it just clicks. Usually after on or 2 turns it will crank over.

its like i have a volt problem. both my batteries are only a couple years old. Do i have worn key switches or something? maybe i have bad batteries (but i always buy the biggest cranking amp battery for the size)

I have indak switches, i'm just lost. I should be able to turn the key and have it start no matter what.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass disaster View Post
i ordered the amazon one but it sounded bad and would just spin. After $28 in shipping to send it back i went ahead and had my old one serviced.

They cleaned and put a new solenoid on it.

So far i haven't had to tap on it.... but it sounds a bit funny sometimes.

Also both my kohlers (2 everride warriors) wont start sometimes when you turn the key. it just clicks. Usually after on or 2 turns it will crank over.

its like i have a volt problem. both my batteries are only a couple years old. Do i have worn key switches or something? maybe i have bad batteries (but i always buy the biggest cranking amp battery for the size)

I have indak switches, i'm just lost. I should be able to turn the key and have it start no matter what.

You need to make sure power is transferring through the solenoid contacts by testing both large cables on the solenoid while holding the key in the start position - both should have battery voltage for test. Sometimes due to internal arcing the high current solenoid contacts will get pitted and not make good contact. There is also a pull in and hold in circuit and the service manual will tell you how to test.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Clean and tighten your battery connections.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2015, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass disaster View Post
I've had that problem before, chased it until I grew gray hairs until I finally figured it out... Many of those cheap Chinese (sorry but it's true) keyed ignition switches have dead spots, turning the key real slow can help pinpoint it, now that I know the sweet spot on how to start mine hardly ever 'clicks' anymore. What I found is if I turned the key ALL the way to the stop it would 'click' and not start... But turning it slow and not quite to the stop, no problem.

Almost like those old and loosely hinged door handles on certain cars where there's that trick to opening the door, you have to find out just how the ignition switch "likes" to be turned... Granted you could replace it but I've done that and the second switch was even worse so I ended up putting the OEM back on lol

Oh yes, Everride warrior at that