Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2014, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro Timemaster motor

Has anyone tried or know details on repowering the timemaster? I've been pondering the possibility of repowering it with a Briggs 344, or a kawa. ...or commercial grade 12hp+ motor.

I'm not sure why all the companies seem to have have drawn a line using a max 190cc motor on the "push mowers" and then using bigger motors on the walkbehind. It seems the 30" could use a larger motor combined with the turfmaster blades or gator blades. Just curious if it's been talked about before and if it was successful.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Toro Timemaster motor

Turf master blades are the same as timemaster aren't they. I have both machines. I haven't noticed a difference
Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jaybrown, at one time the Timemaster had a lower lift blade than the Turfmaster.

Yokalow, I've been trying to find a larger engine as well. The Kawi on the Turfmaster would probably be enough but would like other options in the 8-9 hp range.

Keep us posted on what you find out.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Interesting...

Not exactly what I was looking for but it could be useful. I found this review posted on the home depot website.

—————————————————————————————————————————

First off I work on small engines and lawn mowers as a hobby, so that has allowed me to come into using this product with knowledge of potential ways to negate a lot of its perceived weaknesses.

Here's what I've found:

Deck Clogging:
Adjusting the rear of the mower one notch above the front of the mower (or dropping the front of the mower one setting, whatever you want to do) does make a huge difference. For most people this is probably enough to see a huge benefit when mulching. You'll also see a general higher quality of cut, and this is coming from someone who cuts thick St. Augustine grass at 4".Poor

Mulching:
If you're still experiencing poor mulching, throw on the Turfmaster (the commercial varient of this model) blades and you'll see a definite difference. The Turfmaster blades have a slightly higher lift, and it does matter. If you're good with tools and a perfectionist, you can also bend the stock Timemaster blades with a vice and a pair of grips. Just make sure they're all equal in angle. You can get Turfmaster blades for about $38 for the pair, or $45 with shipping included.

Lack of Power:
Lots of people feel the mower is a bit under-powered. I like to make RPM adjustments on my mowers to gain some substantial power. Typically these mowers are rated for higher RPMs then they come with at stock, I imagine just so they're 'safer' or last longer. My mower engine was just below 3100 RPMs, and with a quick adjustment to the governor arm (you can find videos on youtube on how to do it, it's not very difficult though) I set the RPMs at 3450 and saw an incredible difference in speed and power. Just make sure you have a tachometer and don't go above 3600. I find around 3400 to be the sweet spot between power and longevity.And that's about it. When I made these adjustments they essentially removed every negative the mower had, so now it is basically the perfect mower for me.

—————————————————————————————————————————

Source:
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Toro-30-in-...200/203088669/

Tags
timemaster motor