Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-29-2006, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Need Professional Advice

I Have A Client That Owns Two Apt. Complexes That I Mow Recentely She Had Ask Me If I Did Fertilizing , I Kind Of Blew It Off After She Ask Me Mainly Because I Know Nothing About It At All , My Question To Everyone Is If I Wanted To Do This What Is Involved In This Part Of Lawn Maint. Price Of Equipment,chemicals,knowlwdge Of What Needs To Be Done Etc. Thanks For All Your Suggestions
Old 11-29-2006, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

The easy answer is sub it out or just tell the customer you do not do this. Not that it is rocket science but there is a good deal of knowledge, license, Ins. and equipment to acquire to do it affectively. I would try to find a local LCO in your area and get a bid for him to do the work. You can tack a little on for your self and your still keeping th customer happy so she does not go looking for a big opertion to replace the jobs you already do for her.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In order to do it properly you need to get licensed as the applicator and f a license for the business (at leats in my state) $200 per year approximately for the license a spreader at minimum for a walk behind is $200-$500. You can get bigger power driven spreaders but that is geared more towards commercial properties. You will need at minimum a $100 backpack sprayer to spary herbicides, but can go for the big $ equipment that is skid mounted on your truck (havent gottent hat big to look at that type of pricing yet)

For example
15,000 sq ft home for fertilizer (5 applications: 1 with crabgrass preventer, 1 with weed and feed, 2 summer applications with spot spraying for weeds, and one late fall application of winterizer fert) would run the customer about $500 or so.

it isnt a huge profit maker unless you can get lots of people signed up in the same areas, more time is spent getting from job to job than is spent at each place.

I am hoping to be there next year where I can have multiple people in the same neighborhoods.

We do landscape design, plants sales and delivery, full season landscape maintenance, mulch applications, edging installation, landscape bed installation, one time landscape renovations, spring and fall cleanups, and lawn maintenance division including mowing, fertility/weed control programs, and agronomics services.

Mike and Loriena Harrington

http://www.beautifulbloomslandscape.com
Old 11-30-2006, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Why is it that when someone ask's a question about sometins there is alwalys people that say just sub it out? i would not ask the question if it was not something that i thought i may be able to make money at, i really just wanted to know where i can get information on what needs to be done in order to do the job properly,like what equipment is needed?? who do i talk to about the grass that they want fertilized?? where does one buy fertilizer besides lowes or home depot or is that the best place to get what you need?
Old 11-30-2006, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can buy your fert from Lowes or Home Depot but you won't get the ebst fertilizer probably. Try and find a Lesco service center somewhere, or I am sure you have multiple places that would sell fertilzer. Try your biggest equipment sales people they may also carry fert/combination products.

"who do i talk to about the grass that they want fertilized??" I am not sure what you meant by this question.

We do landscape design, plants sales and delivery, full season landscape maintenance, mulch applications, edging installation, landscape bed installation, one time landscape renovations, spring and fall cleanups, and lawn maintenance division including mowing, fertility/weed control programs, and agronomics services.

Mike and Loriena Harrington

http://www.beautifulbloomslandscape.com
Old 12-01-2006, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

The reason I am telling you to sub out is you your self said you know nothing about it at all!! If i asked a builder how I could put an addition on my house i would hope he would say get a profesional to do it. My response was simlply how you could sub out that service and still make a little $.