Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-30-2006, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting Ready for the winter market of snow plowing etc, and working on the big push for next spring season.

For money I work the video production business, writing, producing, directing, shooting, editing and dvd authoring of sales, training videos, etc.

Tim
Old 12-01-2006, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSet N' Grade
Tapr....your question is two fold. Personally, we are booked through late January right now. When you are starting out its tough until your name gets around. My first winter was real hard financially. I took any kind of work I could get and with the rest of the time, I went and introduced/promoted myself to different contractors that could use my service. I treated each day like a work day....whether I had work or not and did not sit at home. Get out and mingle with potential customers/contractors/wholesale houses/nurseries or whatever. Just keep plugging' away and something will come of it....
I like this answer ... everyday is a work day. Networking is part of every business, like it or not. And since your business is a professional business, it's presence is very important. The more they see you out there ... your truck if it is lettered or decaled ... and you around town ... the more you are recognized as a part of the business community in your area.

Proud Supporter of:
Hustler mowers ~ Xtreme racks ~ STHIL products
Old 12-01-2006, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

plow snow and relax
Old 12-01-2006, 05:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapr Lawn Care
Hi, this has been my first year and i made my money back on equipment and such but don't have enough for winter. Just wondered what you lawn care and landscapers did in the winter when the grass can't be tended to. I have a couple people wanting their driveways cleared of snow, would you suggest sinking 2000 bucks in a good snowblower to hook on my john deere, or a push snowblower, or stick with a shovel for this year. I could probably get at least 10 driveways to get me started but is this enough? Should I invest in the winter operations of removing snow, or go get a job??

P.S. the truck I have now shouldn't have a plow attached.

All input is greatly appreciated
tapr
Try and do both. The size of the equipment should reflect the size of the job. If you're doing a bunch of small driveways with cars on them, then a w/b snow blower might be better.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do commerical snow plowing this year we have been sub contracted by the city of Trenton to do some of there lots and garages. We also do tile work, painting ect... One great thing we started to do last year was clean outs, crap people want to get rid of ( attics ,basements ect. ) hey you might even find something good
Old 12-02-2006, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

plowing snow isn't much of a good option around here. We usually only get 2-3 snows good for 2-5 inches. Last year we had only one snow good for about 3 inches. Two years ago, though we had a couple. One was 5" and the other 18"!!! ighteen inches may not seem like much to some here but That's the most we've gotten in my 36 years here on earth. We got about 15" in the late 70s but that's the only two I know of that was more than ten inches. And of the snows we usually get they're usually wet enough that it usually melts when it hit concrete or pavement and just sticks on grass.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBN
plowing snow isn't much of a good option around here. We usually only get 2-3 snows good for 2-5 inches. Last year we had only one snow good for about 3 inches. Two years ago, though we had a couple. One was 5" and the other 18"!!! ighteen inches may not seem like much to some here but That's the most we've gotten in my 36 years here on earth. We got about 15" in the late 70s but that's the only two I know of that was more than ten inches. And of the snows we usually get they're usually wet enough that it usually melts when it hit concrete or pavement and just sticks on grass.

Everyone one ask if I plow snow. I say "What snow" we usually only get about 2to 3 small snows a year now. It is not worth the toime and money around here anymore. 1982 was a nasty year. We had a thunder snow that gave ys 24 inches in 10 hours. With the snow drifts some could walk right onto thier roof.

I do any job that makes money. The last couple years I have worked with a metal roofer. It's cold but it's work.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Clean outs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHIE K
We do commerical snow plowing this year we have been sub contracted by the city of Trenton to do some of there lots and garages. We also do tile work, painting ect... One great thing we started to do last year was clean outs, crap people want to get rid of ( attics ,basements ect. ) hey you might even find something good

How do you find clea out customers? Or better yet how are they finding you for your service?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My wife sent a letter to all of our customers and put a add in the local paper + ist now on our web-site. The other day a customer was getting rid of an old time camera I found the same one on ebay for $100.00 and mine is on ebay to.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I sit around from mid Dec to mid feb hoping snow will fall. besides that ,playstation, cartoons and the pc is all i do!!!