Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2006, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One year I delivered flowers for a flower shop, got $5 a delivery and used there van. I would make about $125 a day during Christmas and Valentines day weeks. Plus tips.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Knowing this is your first year, I mean no harm when I say NEXT spring: Save your winter money first, priority one.

Much like yourself, there was no way I could've saved the winter money my first year anyhow.
So, my first year's winter I ended up doing a whole lot of crap work for next to nothing.
Ahhhh yes, good times.

By my second year, I had learned my lesson and had next winter's money saved by september

My third year, for some reason I had forgotten the lesson and I ended up doing a whole lot of crap work for next to nothing.
Ahhh yes, more good times.

After that, I swore I would never forget to save my winter money starting in spring, first thing no matter what, priority one.
Last year, I had it by end of August...

That wasn't good enough for me.
This year, I had it before end of June

Hang in there, you'll be fine.
Good luck.

Last edited by topsites; 12-18-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Heck, I get done with my work the last day of November.
- I took real estate certification school and going for state exam this week. After signing up with a broker by the end of January,
- make $ selling houses during the off-season
- Get schooled, certified for hardscaping: pavers, retaining walls.
- Buy a 2002+ Ford f450+ dump truck to complete my 3rd landscaping crew
- Buy 2007 Hustler Super Z 60"+, more trimmers, blowers
- Possibly buy a Bobcat for hardscaping
- Advertise, Advertise, Advertise
- Plan, Plan, Plan
- Pickup big commercial accounts, add residential accounts
- Finish High School in May

P.S. I suggest you buy equipment with cash, w/out loans, it leaves everything you make during the season in your pocket and allows to pay upfront for more equipment for growth for the following season

BTW, just stumbled on these forums this afternoon, so I guess wanted to say hi to da community....

Last edited by den240nis; 12-24-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pressure washing,we do as much pw as lawn care you can't pay the bills doing only one thing.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

scrap metal. that is if you can find it. right now with metal prices you can make some extra cash if you can find going out of business sales. many places just need the building cleaned out so they don't have to pay another months rent. so its worth it to them to get rid of the display racks. but its hard to find those places. try to find someone who has done it in the past. I only do it for extra cash. also unlimited trash pickup days are great for scrap and things to sell on ebay. found a clothes dryer and a reel to reel tape deck that I think sells on ebay not working for 200. plus with the big old lawn trailer you can still make money getting the lighter weight metal like chairs and stuff that other people skip over.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO there's just too much money out there during the winter to take the whole season off.

Granted we work very hard during the summer months and I can see the benefit of relaxing during the winter but on the other hand there is alot of good "winter money" out there.

To give you an idea, last year we earned around 20k during the months of Dec thru Feb. doing Christmas lighting installations, lighting removals, and residential snow removal.

Extra money plus there was still plenty of time to relax.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Work my other business, heavy workouts at the gym since i dont kill myself during mowing season and am bored everyday

and go on atleast 3-5 vacations(florida,vermont, and vegas atleast twice i hope) since i kill myself during the cutting season

^^ I drive a 55k daily driver and a 5k work truck while every other lco owner is the opposite and would rather drive an f550 as an everyday car

Work like a slave eat like a king
Old 12-31-2006, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells View Post
IMO there's just too much money out there during the winter to take the whole season off.

Granted we work very hard during the summer months and I can see the benefit of relaxing during the winter but on the other hand there is alot of good "winter money" out there.

To give you an idea, last year we earned around 20k during the months of Dec thru Feb. doing Christmas lighting installations, lighting removals, and residential snow removal.

Extra money plus there was still plenty of time to relax.
Wells, How do you charge for christmas light installation, removal, if you don't mind me asking? Any issues with lights going out, and having to go back? What type of customers are you finding want this service (high end)? Thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Boys LawnCare View Post
Wells, How do you charge for christmas light installation, removal, if you don't mind me asking? Any issues with lights going out, and having to go back? What type of customers are you finding want this service (high end)? Thanks
Here is a link to a thread in the Seasonal section of Lawnsite that will answer most of your questions.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=167431&page=2

The customers requesting lighting are no longer just high end clients, most of our clientele are middle class and we are starting to see more and more senior citizens requesting the service each year.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, since we have had ZERO snow(one very small one which doesn't count), nothing.

So I sit on my rear all day and go work my 2nd shift job at night.

Gives me plenty of time to search for new business for next season though!

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!