Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2000, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I just got a new exmark with a mulching kit and was wondering what kind of blades you guys run? What are the best blades for mulching? If you order them from a mag. which one is it and how much do they cost? thanks for the help<br>Dingo
Old 03-19-2000, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For mowing and mulching grass, the factory Exmark mulch blades work fine. Gator Blades work better for mulching leaves.
Old 03-20-2000, 06:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Try the Exmark mulching blades before you buy<br>after market blades, I bet you will be more than pleased. Unlike Laser I was also surprised at how my zero made our minnesota<br>oak and maple leaves dissapear. I swear I<br>would work next to more than one of my <br>competitions crews and be in and out of my<br>accounts in half the time<p>----------<br>Valhalla lawn and pool<br>
Old 03-20-2000, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

valhalla,<br>We ran 2 Identical eXmarks side by side. The only difference was one had gator mulcher blades - the other factory mulcher blades. The gators made the leaves smaller in the 1st pass than the standard.<p>Did you find the standard mulcher blades did better on leaves?
Old 03-20-2000, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Icant imagine anything working better on leaves than the exmark blades.However i did read some posts not long ago(lazer?)about using a mulch and high lift blade on each spindle.Seems like a great idea and i intend to give that a try. Dont recall the exact configurations discussed on those posts. My concern,being a rookie,is what is the cumulative affect of mulching all those leaves. Do you do anything special in the spring clean ups?
Old 03-20-2000, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Old 03-20-2000, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ive used the oem-style (or equivalent) exmark mulcher blades the past four years with excellent results. <p>They do an acceptable job on leaves, when the leaves get too heavy they will need to be windrowed and picked up, no doubt about it, doesnt matter what blade you use.<p>Bill
Old 03-20-2000, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Lazer I have no experience with gator blades<br>but on my zero the leaves took no time at all<br>to vanish,can't say it was always the first pass though. Also we had an incredibly dry<br>autumn last year,that might have helped.<p>----------<br>Valhalla lawn and pool<br>
Old 03-20-2000, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

what is the thickness of factory exmark mulching blade? what does it cost where you get it? thanks<br>Dingo
Old 03-21-2000, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Dingo the Exmark factory mulching blades cost<br>$33.00 for set of three(60&quot; deck), metro area twin cities,mn <p>----------<br>Valhalla lawn and pool<br>