Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2006, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Believe me we already do we charge fifteen ber bag that costs us eight fifty. But the ice we got the other night was 4-5 inches deep. We think the problem is we told them we start at like 4-5 in the morning and then they all said they wanted us to come later in the day when it was done snowing or almost done. I think we should have started the night before thats what we saw a lot of guys doing because it started snowing pretty hard at 2 in the afternoon. So what do you think should we just tell them that we will show up at whatever time our schedule allows or something like that and that if it is already icing up and they want us to wait till it stops that it will be a minumum of double the starting price?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have in my contracts that "... Due to unknown factors, drive may be pushed more than once in a 24 hour period. If they chose for us to wait, I let them know that we have a base rate + $ per inch after that. If we have to wait, they are put at the back of the list.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how much do you charge per inch? i am charging $30 base price up to 5" and then $3 an inch after that to do a two car driveway and the walk way up to the house (and sidewalk if it has one)

does that sound good?

mo snow=mo work=mo money i think its only fair

CLEAR-CUT Lawn & Landscape
Old 12-06-2006, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Charge them, you can't make a profit doing it for free. This sounds like something you need to address in your future quotes. I'd send out a letter or contact your customers some how and address the issue with them. Especially if this is the type of winters you normally have.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLandscaping
how much do you charge per inch? i am charging $30 base price up to 5" and then $3 an inch after that to do a two car driveway and the walk way up to the house (and sidewalk if it has one)

does that sound good?

mo snow=mo work=mo money i think its only fair
I'm high here because it only snows on average 4 X a year, but I'm charging $100 for a 2 car drive & sidewalk. We get on average 3 - 10" so I haven't charged them any extra. If I don't have to get out of the truck, I'll do it for $50 if they don't mind waiting until the end of my list. Those are my residential customers though. I actually like & make better money w/ the commercial ones.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Dunns you ever pre salt? It will make it alot easier on your ice management, I know that the weather guesser (man) isnt allways right, but keep an eye on there for ice storms and get out before it hits. Just my two cents. Plus to answer your question yes charge for your time if they dont want to pay it just remove the snow and be done. Also put a clause in your service agreement for ice storms and extra charges.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=JMLandscaping]how much do you charge per inch? i am charging $30 base price up to 5" and then $3 an inch after that to do a two car driveway and the walk way up to the house (and sidewalk if it has one)

does that sound good?

mo snow=mo work=mo money i think its only fair[/QUOTE
You could do better than that in Central Jersey.Short 2 car drive with walks. most we do around $75 up to 6 inches.$95 7"-10", $110 up to 12".It seems most people are desperate to get somone dependable. Then again we only do about 10 -12 residentials.The rest are commercial lots.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn's lawn service
Hey I have a question when you guys do snow removal for residentials. If say your price is $30.00 for the first 6" of snow what do you do if there is ice underneath the snow? Do you charge more or do you just waste the 2 to 3 hours breaking all of the ice up and work for no profit? We ask because we are in the St. Louis area and some of you may know that we got about 5" of ice and about 2" of snow. Being that they are residential, there is no way that most of them would agree to paying $60-$100for the snow and ice removal. What we have done is told them, sorry there is nothing that we can do unless they are willing to pay the additional amount to cover increased labor expenses. What does everyone think about this issue and have you dealt with it before? Thanks in advance for all replies.
We dont touch ice on residentials, or packed snow. If the snow blower or plow cant move it it stays.But if you have that kind of ice problem in your area, you might address solutions with price layout with customer.(Pre-salting, sand)Some times If its bad, Ill throw a $5 bag of salt on it.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Hey I have a question when you guys do snow removal for residentials. If say your price is $30.00 for the first 6" of snow what do you do if there is ice underneath the snow? Do you charge more or do you just waste the 2 to 3 hours breaking all of the ice up and work for no profit? We ask because we are in the St. Louis area and some of you may know that we got about 5" of ice and about 2" of snow. Being that they are residential, there is no way that most of them would agree to paying $60-$100for the snow and ice removal. What we have done is told them, sorry there is nothing that we can do unless they are willing to pay the additional amount to cover increased labor expenses. What does everyone think about this issue and have you dealt with it before? Thanks in advance for all replies.
I think you did it right. Take it or leave it basically. Residentials and Snow services don't really mix IMHO.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
We can't be the only lawn service that uses snow blowers/throwers on here. Come on guys need your oppinions here.
This is how i have been doing it for the last 4 years. I have a craftsman lawn tractor (Lt1000) with a 22hp v-twin brigs and my golf cart which is an 18hp v-twin kawi. they both have plows.The tractor has wheel weights and tire chains and is great for snow up to 8 inches. After about 8 inches of snow the wheel start to spin. The golfcart is good up to 6 inches of light snow. I like to think of it as the golf cart being a f-150 and the tractor being the f-350. Then i pull a trailer behind the tractor with a single stage toro blower, that died out on me on the last snowstorm, gutta buy a new one and a craftsman dual stage 5hp snow blower. On the back of teh golf cart where my mower usually goes, I put a spreader and bags of salt to be put down. Most of my driveways are about 100 feet long. This set up does great. I usually plow, then put magic salt down then come back to clean it up. If we get 12+ inches i usually come after about 5-6 inches. I usually stay out all night on these snow storms because i have about 20+/- residential plowing accounts so by the time i finish the house on a big storm i have to go back and do them again. I charge anyway from 25-35 for the first 6"'s then 5 an inch after 6. We don;t usually get anything over 6 inches so my customers don;t complain when they get a bill for $100 or more for an 18" snow storm . Also they get charged an extra $15 for putting down magic salt for a 100 foot single car driveway. Most customers don't have any complaints. Well sorry for the long story.

This is my setup and it works well. I will try to get sum pictures of all the set-up together in the near future. If you have any questions just ask. LawnInOrder
1996 Mitso Fuso Stake Body
1999 Dodge 2500 w/ 7.5' Western Plow
12X6 Enclosed Trailer
12X6.5 open Trailer
16X6.5 Bobcat Trailer
20 Ton Bobcat Trailer
Bobcat 873
Bobcat 753-For Sale