Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-10-2006, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

During the spring summer and fall, the latest I have recived a phone call was about 10:30.
During the winter when its snowing I will answer the phone if I am not busy. I have signed customers up for driveway snow blwoing at 2, 3:30 5am in the morning. It don't bother me none because I am usually awake keeping tabs on the storm.
During the mowing season, my phones are on from 6:30am-8:00pm. Sometimes, i will let the voice mail get the call but if I'm awake and not busy doing something, I will answer. I hate answering calls for estimates though when I am driving. It seems everytime I do that, the customer lives 30 miles east of West Jabip and I end up having to pull over and jot a ton of directions down.
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 12-10-2006, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I let my mashine take the calls. But if I can I answer them. You never know who it could be. The customer comes first
Old 12-10-2006, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get calls at all hours, as early as 7 and as late as 11. But this year I decided to get a cell phone and only use it for business. I leave in on vibrate so I am not bothered unless I feel like it! If it is after 6 and I see a customers number or an unfamiliar I just don't answer it. If I had a seperate home line I would just turn off the ringer at night. You gotta have your personal time, right?
Old 12-10-2006, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I got a call at 10:45. I answered just because I was still up doing other stuff... If I wasn't up I would have not picked it up..
Old 12-10-2006, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Latest i have ever gotten a client call that i have answered is 9:22 p.m.. I have a business cell phone that i take/make all biz calls with. I also have on my cards my Hours/days of operation. so heres what i do. I keep my phone on charge overnight in my truck, and I go out about 15 minutes before I plan on leaving my shop and the first thing i do each morning is I take my phone out of the center truck console and check messages, list message inquries, and return calls. I do that while I let the truck warm up and I unlock the trailer and make sure I have all the right equipment loded up for the day. and i usually keep the the phone in my truck while I'm mowing/working so I dont have to worry about it ringing and me shutting down equipment to answer. then when i get back in the truck on my way to the next job, I check and return any missed calls if there are any, Only time my phone is clipped on my side while I am working is when i am doing work alone that way i can call if something bad happens, but even then if I am alone and have it clipped to my side i dont answer until i take a break, or I am on my way to my next job. but when i get home I keep it clipped on me until 9:00 p.m then i walk out to the shop and put it in my truck back on charge and set it to send calls straight to voice mail. I have a personal cell, also and my family knows my hours of operation and know not to call past a respectful time unless its an emergency... but i would strongly recomend having a seperate personal line apart from your business phone. Simply put, Truck = Mobile Business Office and Biz Phone = Office Tool that needs to remain in the office and used during business hours
*2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 6-speed automatic. Cummins 6.7 High Output Turbo Diesel
*John Deere Z425, Z-757
*All Echo Handheld 2-cycle Equipment
*6'5"x14' LandscapingTrailer
*35' Heavy equipment dovetail gooseneck 25k lb. load capacity
*21 Toro Super Recycler (3)
*And the most important thing... looking good at being clueless...

Last edited by ClippersLC; 12-11-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to get more calls after 6pm when up in Portland. Now, in southern Oregon, almost everybody calls before 4pm. The exceptions now, are the spouses who got home after I finished the work, and call late evening to say thank-you.

Before, I used to get irritated at the late callers.

Then I learned from them, that they expected me to be "closed" as if it was a regular office building - which some companies have.

They were calling, not expecting a person, but just expecting to get an answering machine. Some people were even surprised when I answered at 8pm.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 12-11-2006, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have many late night calls, but I've had people call me at 5:30 and 6:00 before! Luckly it was my cell phone. Keep in mine I have a 2yr old and a 4 mouth old and my customers know this?!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a cell phone with voice mail. If am not available to answer then the voice mail kicks in. If I am out and don't want to take the call, voice mail. I turn it off in the evening and let the voice mail take over.
This has worked well for me and my customers. They feel they can call anytime and talk to me or leave a message(which I return that day or next morning, if call after 7:00pm). I never give a customer my home number. I will leave the dinner interrupting phones calls to the telemarketers.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammon landscaping View Post
i love when dad wants me to help him he calls me 5:45am and honastly thinks that i am going to remember the materal list he rattles off to me. then always asks "you ain't still asleep are you?"
Whenever someone wakes me up and asks me this I always answer "no i had to get up and answer the phone".

Ford F-150 2WD
2006 Exmark 60" Walk behind
2009 Exmark 48" Walk behind
2010 Exmark Turf Tracer
Redmax Trimmers
Redmax Blowers
Tanaka 7800R Blower
Tanaka Hedge Trimmer
6'6" x 16' Tandem Trailer
Hand Tools etc...
Old 01-04-2007, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

With any business, late calls are expected...

I get calls 24/7 and have my office staffed that way during the winter months.

I call all the people we work with (advertising, insurance, etc) late at night, after I check my email and or voicemail. Most people have the common understanding that when they call late at night, they will be leaving a message. I do get the "wow, I'm sorry to bother you I just wanted to leave a message" when I answer the office phone at 2am.

Get over it.. Its part of a business
www.qualitylawncare.biz
Serving Western New York since 1998.

"Everyone has bad breaks but everyone also has opportunities. I think luck is the sense to recognize an opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it..." -Samuel Goldwyn