Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-11-2006, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwell
You guys might have a hard time in this part of the world doing business. The whole state might have a single aborist per county. Home owners have usually no idea what an aborist even is much less pay them to cut on trees. At $80 per hour you would get laughed out of business. Unlike my business, at least %99 of the tree and lawn business's around here don't even have licenses or are even insured. Its a shame people do work without knowing what they're doing but we all have to put up with that stuff everywhere. Good Luck man dont stress it!!!
Now that almost rings a bell.

I'm not sure what county you are in, but there's a lot of wind in that entire state - right? At least occassional major damage?

We moved to Savannah just above you, and part of what you stated brings back memories.

When I started business there for the year we were in that city, I felt it was much slower getting work than in Oregon. Then it dawned on me, that maybe a lot of people in the GA and FL area have pruning work done more as crisis repair, instead of manicured tree care.

I found information online about types of plants there, but nothing I read really talked much about the wind storms or humidity. We learned about that, the fire ants and the sand gnats after we moved there. We will probably always live in Oregon now, but I'd never go anywhere again that has sand gnats.

You've probably been there a lot longer than I was around. Yes? So do you think that's part of how it works down there?

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 12-11-2006, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden
I'll answer your question - at you and not for you, but for others.

If you went to my website, you either did, or did not read all the relevant pages.

The website indicates from the testimonials, resume and services, that I'm dedicated to the entire gamet of "horticulture". And because the website is set-up to divert lawn mowing, it doesn't mean that I never mow lawns and provide basic lawn care.

Before starting business, I was a greens keeper, golf course superintendent, commercial landscape maintenance crew leader, and assistant foreman at a university landscape maintenance crew.

My lawn services also include not just mechanical aeration, but chemical aeration. There is overseeding, drainage and installation. Occassionally, I'm hired to evaluate the lawn service which people are recieving from other companies.

Next you can read for yourself about licensing here, and experience at: http://www.lcb.state.or.us

That should be the link. And the basic answer is yes.
Good ... I thought it probably would be. Experience almost always out-weighs class room ... but both are great.

How I work is described in my business name basically ... Lawn and Landscape Mgt. I do most all of my own work ... BUT ... to offer the total package for my customers ... if they require something I do not do ... I have others that I network with to provide the services for me. I really believe that networking is beneficial to the success of any business.

Dave

Proud Supporter of:
Hustler mowers ~ Xtreme racks ~ STHIL products
Old 12-11-2006, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige-Lawncare
Good ... I thought it probably would be. Experience almost always out-weighs class room ... but both are great.

How I work is described in my business name basically ... Lawn and Landscape Mgt. I do most all of my own work ... BUT ... to offer the total package for my customers ... if they require something I do not do ... I have others that I network with to provide the services for me. I really believe that networking is beneficial to the success of any business.

Dave
I have to agree with you there but it is tough somtimes finding someone you can count on
Old 12-11-2006, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige-Lawncare

Dave
It's also nice that there are still services that overlap services, that you can still trust to help out without undermining in the area of similar services.

You have been around a while, so I'm sure you know that well too.

Here, I found two or three landscape companies, and two arborist services that I can safely refer to my own customers to handle aspects I don't provide. One being irrigation which I don't like doing very much, and climbing which I don't have the equipment for.

I'd have climbed, but found out that I was very uncomfortable at those heights, so I sold my climbing gear one week after I bought it - that was 15 years ago.

Thanks for sharing.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890