Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2006, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing you do if you win a bid with a large corporation is go to the county offices and file a lien against the contractor for the amount of the bid.

Getting paid is a real PITA.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are all those islands irrigated?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Update On the Wal-mart Project

We ended up with the landscaping part of the project even after we were out bid. The owner of the company that won the bid had a heart attack and got out of his contract. I think that it was karma that really caused it because he only bid around 75.00 per tree for 2" caliper autumn blaze maples ( our bid was over 200.00 per tree) and realized that he couldn't even buy the tree's then travel 3 hours to install them for what he bid.

This is the third 6 figure job we have landed in the last 3 months and at this pace will do about 1.5 million for the year, even more if we get any snow in Jan and Feb.

We got started yesterday on the job and placed the first 10 tree's and laid out the rest of the tree plantings and unloaded the first load of 55 tree's. This job includes about 300 2" trees and about 500 b&b shrubs. Not to mention the 3500 yards of sod and the 8700 plugs that have to go in at the off site wetlands Mitigation project. We figure the on site work will take about 2 weeks, with a small crew, and another 2 weeks to do the off site work.

After a really bad spring and summer it is nice to be covered up for the next 3-4 months. I will post some pictures as the job goes on.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

wow nice to see a landscaped wal-mart here they are just red mulch and pears
Old 11-04-2007, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Atleast you got the planting portion!

I do not think a landscape company could ever be competive on a large scale retaining wall project. Where i am in NJ there is no such thing as a unbuildable lot. I got to take pictures of this one new condo devlopment going in with over half a million face feet. It is un real. You need major equipment and man power to do a 50 ft wall efficently.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Big walls are a nightmare and I've known more than one guy to lose their company over big wall contracts. I'm sure you were saved with the prerequisites of 100,000 ft2. Contracts like that, in my area, tend to come with a stipulation that you must have a secondary "insurance" company that will finish this project if, for any reason, your guys can't. That "bonding" is generally 5-10% of the total contract price. We did a wall for the city last year that required this and we had to budget an extra $7000 for the bond itself.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am glad we didn't think too long about doing the wall it was a major project that took months to do.

I have about $20000 out in different bonds right now and that had to come right out of the operating cash. The projects we are doing in Louisville require the largest bonds because they are over $250,000.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey how's it going? i have seen your ramps over in portland. i chit chated with one of your foremen over there. i thought this thread was about the wally world on cane run untill i saw the date, they are just about finished. what other projects are you guys doing up here?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We ended getting screwed out of our change order on the sod on this job. The grade contractor was told that because the site prep and hydroseeding was such a poor job that they had to pay for the sod. They opted to do it themselves. The general contractor also told us that we had to wait until mid month in January to get paid, that will be over 60 days just to get paid, and we have all our cost up front. It sure would be nice to get that 65k check in hand, before the new year.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Well waiting 60 days for commercial work is nothing. Look at the bright side, you can use the expenses against this year's income, and won't have to pay taxes on the income until next tax year. I don't know what teh limitations are in your state, but if I hit 90 days, liens are filed...just the way it is.