Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2006, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dual blowers for leaves lol!

I was fooling around some today, and found a trick that even thou it had crossed my mind before, I always dismissed it as so much hocus pocus.

I was doing a pretty decent size leaf cleanup, and as is always the case, I had the backpack, the handheld, and the pushblower along.

Nevermind the pushblower for a minute, I use the backpack to outline the area and to get into the spots the push can't get to, stuff like that. Meanwhile, the handheld comes in dandy for those real tight nooks and corners, etc...

So as I'm working and switching blowers, I finally got tired of putting one down every time to pick up the other. Kept the backpack on and fired up the handheld to get behind the heatpumps.

So at one point I couldn't get up in there right and decided, maybe a little more wind, so I gave the backpack some throttle.

WOW... So long both nozzles are concentrated to the same spot, the backpack nozzle in the right hand, the handheld in the left, what an increase in power!

The best way I found was to click the cruise control on the backpack but leave it idling... Then click the cruise on the handheld and get it going wot, and use the left hand to hold the BOTTOM of the handheld while the right hand holds both the backpack nozzle and the top handle of the handheld: This way, both blowers are tight together and both hands move together as well. NOW crank the backpack's throttle so it is wot also.

Warnings: It does wear you out LOL, but it made a noticeable difference, the stupid trick moved a LOT of leaves in short time, I got done in 3 hours where years prior it has taken 3+ > 4, so it saved me 15-20 minutes on a job where the little blowers account for maybe 25% of the work.
For reference, the backpack is a Br-550, the handheld a bg-55 w/ a 65 nozzle, both Stihl's.
Guess when combined, I had myself a Bbgr615

Last edited by topsites; 12-08-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thats cool. I will have to try it when i get a handheld.
F450 XLT Dump
Fisher Xtreme Vees
22' Enclosed Trailer
16' Open Trailer
14' Dump Trailer
10' Open Trailer
Redmax 2stroke Equipment
Walker, Wright Stander, Lesco
Little Wonder, Stihl, ect. ect.....
Old 12-08-2006, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

on all of our jobs the two guys backpacking are sent together and 90% of the time they blow right next together and it really throws the leaves 3 or 4 fold over just one backpack
Old 12-08-2006, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There was a thread on here years ago that someone told us of them wearing two backpacks at once....one in front, and one in back. Since the hose swung around 180 degrees, he had both hoses with handles right out in front of him - just wailing away at the leaves. There is a pic, somewhere....

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
There was a thread on here years ago that someone told us of them wearing two backpacks at once....one in front, and one in back. Since the hose swung around 180 degrees, he had both hoses with handles right out in front of him - just wailing away at the leaves. There is a pic, somewhere....
Haha..That's something that I have to see...please find
Old 12-09-2006, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL
on all of our jobs the two guys backpacking are sent together and 90% of the time they blow right next together and it really throws the leaves 3 or 4 fold over just one backpack
I would've never believed it if I had not experienced it, I'm still trying to determine the exact math of how much more it moved...

All I know is it went noticeably faster, so at least 20% conservatively, around 30-50% realistically and maybe 60%-70% optimistically... guessing a bit, but I'm doing it again tomorrow LOL!

I've used the backpack before to help the pushblower along for certain tight corners, but it's a LOT of weight to deal with those two blowers and I felt so mickey mouse about it that I only do it when it's really needed... Evidently, the difference just isn't worth the hassle, and the push + backpack are so far apart in power and it's tough to get both nozzles going the same direction, just doesn't work quite right.

But the handheld + backpack, I was duly impressed, felt a bit like a redneck but I didn't feel mickey mouse.

Sure got that backyard done, it's my 4th or 5th leaf job in this exact yard and it is usually a pita to deal with (a LOT of leaves, small yard, fenced in and lots of obstacles).
So I was pleased to leave there before the sun set this year.

The best part, thou...
I got the MOST $pmh this year for this yard and I dare say the customer will be pleased with the bill as well (I THINK it's the cheapest year yet for this one, but I am not sure, it's a ways from the most expensive year thou).

That to me is true win-win, when both I AND the customer come out ahead, it's what I strive for, it rules

Last edited by topsites; 12-09-2006 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M.Landscaping
Haha..That's something that I have to see...please find

Its self propelled
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2006, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL

yea i noticed the same... I thinkthe original poster needs to find a hobby instead of calculating how much air he was moving lol

Only question i have is why would you lower his bill... It did take you less time but you also had to hold 2 blowers which im sure wasnt to comfortable... You should have counted as 2 man hours or atleast 1 and 1/2 the customer shouldnt get a lower price cause you busted your ass... Just my opinion its like charging less on a weekly cut during the summer you get out 5-10 minutes early but lose 10 lbs in sweat so it evens out

^^ I drive a 55k daily driver and a 5k work truck while every other lco owner is the opposite and would rather drive an f550 as an everyday car

Work like a slave eat like a king
Old 12-09-2006, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

6-8 foot high leaf piles

We push them, sometimes up to 250 feet if downhill....

Two Redmax 8000 backpacks, plus a 16HP Giant Vac Kohler 2-cylinder.

Total 2 people running 3 blowers. Does the work of a huge crew by using the backpacks to funnel leaves into the airstream of the wheel blower. Very easy, too.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with JJ Landscapes. Isn't the idea to figure out how to get work done quicker and more efficiently so you make more money? Not save the client money? You did make it sound like you worked harder to do the job faster. The only one who benefitted was the client.