Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2006, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

If you could.....

If you could or already have started, what other business would you start? Is lawncare your dream job or are you itching to try something else? Or if you are really adventurous, would you become a conglomerate and operate multiple businesses?

Personally, I have always wanted to start a family entertainment facility. I am in the perfect location. Nothing whatsoever for families (except camping, hunting, hiking - but nothing like putt-putt, go-karts, etc.) to do, good population level, no shopping, no competetion to deal with. The biggest obstacle is money, as everything is. Well, I loved to mow, but to be quite honest, it is not my "dream job". However, being the boss is. lol. But I always wanted something with a very fast turnover, and daily repeat business. Plus something I can take my family to everyday, see how much money I made that day alone, plus have hours of fun having fun.

Well, after using my lawncare business to raise the moeny I needed to get started, I am finally able to form a seperate company for the family entertainment center. It still has a ways to go before I can see it actually open (Next fall I am planning for), but I now know I am on my way to my true "drem job". I will still keep my lawncare business going, especially since it is starting to take off nicely this past year. I will have my sister-in-law run it most likely. She has been my lead field supervisor the entire time.

How do you feel about starting another business? Is one too much? Or are you ready (or already own) to start a second business? Let us hear it, so others might be inspired to grow even more.

Chris
Old 12-11-2006, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I, like you, am planning on building my Lawn Care/Landscape company up so that I can begin go save money and have better time management (over a daily 8-5 job making someone else money) so that I can pursue other endeavors that have higher startup or investment costs upfront. One thing I have always wanted to do was get into realestate and renovate old houses and sell for profit. When I get there, the nioce thing is that my Landscape company handle all of the landscape needs. I cannot wait to get there.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My dream is to own a retail/wholesale nursery. I am doing design & installs because i love plants & the outdoors but i would prefer owning a nursery that does design/build rather than a company that only does design/build. Starting or buying a nursery requires a great deal of money around here though so i continue to save & invest towards the dream while i still work full time in my old job & grow the landscaping on the side.

To complicate things further, my wife does not support the idea. That is a bridge i will cross when i come to it.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have always wanted to do this but i have also wanted to open a corner bar like cheers. My wife went for the lawncare instead of the bar because she was afraid i may drink up all the profit with my friends
Old 12-11-2006, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hotdog Cart....
Old 12-11-2006, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A mortgage company. Other than that, it would be a window washing/cleaning company.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

This is the only company that I have wanted to start.

For years my wife had wanted to open a miniature golf course/driving range. For a variety of reasons it never worked out.

Good luck and continue to set the bar high.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would love to open a auto repair/restoration business specializing in classic cars and muscle cars. I still love the green industry, and don't plan on slowing down anytime soon, but man I would love to work on cars all day.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A strip club or the more political correct term a Gentlemans club.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rental properties, real estate. Similar to what Total Lawn Care said. 2 of the most successful businessmen I know (both millionaires) both got into real estate on the side (mostly for write-offs I am told), then actually went to that as their primary business. That has to tell you something.