Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2006, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How to take down this tree?

I was approached a while back about taking down this one tree and I kept putting it off. Finally the leaves are done and I've said that I am going to do the job. The question is though, how do you guys recommend doing it? The others in the pics (the ones with red marks) we pretty much just dropped whole into the yard or driveway. The one with the yellow mark is the tree in question, and it leans much worse now than when this pic was taken. There is also a good deal of rot present along with carpenter ants. To the far left (out of picture) is the pool house, and behind the tree is the neighbor's utility lines. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2006, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just hire someone, it's not worth it.Do you have tree cutting insurance?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you have to ask, don't even attempt it.do you even have climbing gear?sorry dude!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

The best way is to rent a lift and start near the top. You can rent a lift very reasonable these days. It sure beats paying thousands of dollars just to be very causious. I saved hundreds of dollars doing it myself. As long as its not over power lines and not too too tall.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crab
if you have to ask, don't even attempt it.do you even have climbing gear?sorry dude!

I feel the same way, if you don't have the right gear it will cost you more to buy the gear then its worth and if you don't know what your doing it could cost you alot more then just a shed. I would climb it the cut and lower the branches so they don't do damage to the shed or anything else. Definity 2 people 1 climbing an another lowering the branches. It looks pretty easy but sometimes pics don't show everything.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Think MD Vaden will chime in on this one?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It needs to be climbed and pieced out to come down. Crush that poolhouse, and suddenly it becomes a major piece of real estate. Just hire someone who DOES the stuff, and do it right. You may thank yourself when you are walking on Christmas day. Actually, I would like to SEE MD chime in on this one.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea i alway sub out tree work better making 10% on the job for subing it out then gettin hurt if you dont know what your doin or have the right stuff just think is it really worth the risk?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here you go.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...q=tree+cutting
Old 12-12-2006, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCX
I feel the same way, if you don't have the right gear it will cost you more to buy the gear then its worth and if you don't know what your doing it could cost you alot more then just a shed. I would climb it the cut and lower the branches so they don't do damage to the shed or anything else. Definity 2 people 1 climbing an another lowering the branches. It looks pretty easy but sometimes pics don't show everything.
he is right about the right eqipewmnt. I bought spikes, a saddle, top ahndled chain saw, rope, lanyard etc and cost about $700 in gear. I bought the gear to start doign selective tree trimming up at my upstate house where drooping the tree was not possible. Let me tell you. Climbing and limbing a tree is much harder then it looks. It took my awhile just to realize how to climb with spike correctly and safly and tie in properally. I would suggest to sub it out liek the others say to do. Prob would be a $ 500 job. Charge $550. make 10% by doing nuthing except pick up the phone. It Just IMO LawnInOrder
1996 Mitso Fuso Stake Body
1999 Dodge 2500 w/ 7.5' Western Plow
12X6 Enclosed Trailer
12X6.5 open Trailer
16X6.5 Bobcat Trailer
20 Ton Bobcat Trailer
Bobcat 873
Bobcat 753-For Sale