Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2001, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

what engine for ztr mower NOT to buy.

i am planning to purchase a new ztr mower. my engine choices are kohler,briggs, kawasaki or robin. 22hp-27hp depending on make and model i choose. i would like to hear the voice of experience if there are any particular engines to avoid.
Old 06-26-2001, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

B&S will probably be the cheapest, however will not hold up well to everyday commercial use. Kohler are great engines, however their 25hp engine has some problems that have not been corrected yet(Head Gaskets, oil leaks, and ignition problems from what I hear). Kawasakis, some experience with them, but not enough to compare them with other brands. Robin makes great motors also, worked on smaller ones. Very reliable, parts can be a little pricey, but less problems usually than other engines.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.
Old 06-26-2001, 06:26 PM

I think kawi's are the best, I have vanguards on two of my mowers and they are ok but not my top choice, the vangaurds are pretty reliable but it seems like the small stupid stuff breaks alot on the such as the pull starts, mufflers and things like that. I also had a kohler magnum on a mower which i did not realy care for to much and a kohler cammand on another mower which is just ok. I don't have any experience with robbin so I can't say anything about them. i have one mower with a kawi and it's the best most reliable engine I have ever used, I also have expeirence with all these engines from another company I worked with and kawi has definiytly proven to be the best to me, I got a kawi on my new lazer too.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

:blob3:
I have a 2000 exmark laser liquid cooled kawasaki 23 hp. The KW 23 LQ
is a very fine setup for a zero turn rider, plenty of power, lots of power across
the power band and very reliable so far for me. My Z has on it now 136 hrs with no problem. Good Luck.

Last edited by DAN NELSON; 06-26-2001 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2001, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I own a 2000 25hp Kohler,avoid it,its not worth the money or trouble.It doesnt even put out 25hp either-21-23 at the most.I would buy any of the others listed.Sdwally-if you knew about the Briggs Vanguards,you'd know they are a Japanese built OHV engine of the same quality as Kawasaki,Honda,Kubota,and Robin,I have2,and other superintendent friends have a lot of these engines,they are quiet,smooth,reliable,and make their rated power. The side valve Briggs are a different story,but we are talking about 22-27 Commercial engines.I would buy a Kawi 27L/C if you can afford one,its the strongest engine in the range your looking.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice! on the kohler 25 is that horizontal or vertical shaft drive? and does this make a difference on any other motors? thanks again.
Old 07-01-2001, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

go with a kawasaki 22hp or 27hp kohler do not live up to claim of 25 hp they are a high maintence engine we have owned 3 25hp and 3 20hp kohlers and had problem with all of them go with the kawasaki liquid cooled 22 or 27 and save all your head aches.
Old 07-06-2001, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

23hp LC Kawasaki replaced the 22hp model.

23LC or 27LC Kawasaki are best.

26EFI Kohler would be 3rd.
23hp Kohler would be 4th.

I didn't know Briggs made a 25hp engine.

I'm not familiar with the big Robin engines to speak for them.

Just curious, what brand of Z offers a Robin engine?
Old 07-07-2001, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've got an 18 HP Kohler Magnum. So far it's been great on my Groundsmaster. The only thing I've had to do to it was replace the bendix on the starter, that's it! Of course only time will tell how it performs since I've only had the mower for about a month and a half. I too think that the 27 L/C Kaw would be a great engine. Or better yet, if you can afford it, get an Exmark Lazer Z XP with the 27 HP Diesel Daihatsu or 31 HP Gas Daihatsu! LOL.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 07-07-2001, 04:17 PM

I was going to get a 27 kawi lc on my lazer but my dealer told me that it eats to much fuel and to get the 23, the 23 has plenty of power on a 60", i think the 27 is definitly needed on a 72" but on a 60 the 23 is fine.

About that desiel lazer, I have a 72" demo xp right now and the thing is sweet, but I don't think the deseil is worth the extra money over the gas, it dosn't make that much of a difference in performance, i think the fuel injected is the way to go, I also demoed one of them and out all the models i've used (23 kawi lc, 25 kohler, 26 efi, 27 desiel) the fuel injected was the best. I would take the eps over the xp.