Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-26-2001, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker Decks ?

Anyone using a Walker 48" SD? At the present time I have a 54"SD. It works OK except it's a ***** to scrape and change the blades, laying on your back. I'm looking at the 48" because it's all open underneath and not all closed up like the 54". I'm thinking that the grass will FLOW better with this desgin compared to the 54" or am I all WET? Also this new deck will FLIP up to 90 degrees for ease of blade changing and scraping. Any input on this deck will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Thanks,
Mowman
Old 06-26-2001, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i as well have a 54 sd the newer 54 sd decks are "flip up" so you could possibly up grade
Old 06-26-2001, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have the 62" deck and its a beauty,tilts up and cuts great. How ever, its a bear to switch back and forth with the 48" GHS deck.

Gene
Old 06-26-2001, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

We have a Walker 48" GHS at my other job, and it is the biggest pain in the butt to clean out. You either jack it up and clean it out, on your back of course, or you have to pull the whole deck off. That is an even bigger pain in the ass. I have somehow unofficially became the head mechanic, and that was just a joke the way they have this set up. If you do indeed take the deck off, you literally need 2 people, and if you don't get it back on right, then the grass chute underneath can get caught on the fan on the engine. I guess this happened to the owner last year, and he was only not even a 1/4" off, if even that. Walker's cut nice, but I'm a Scag man deep down.
Old 06-27-2001, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

We have had to resort to building our own decks here in Australia as our exchange rate is worth half of your US dollar.for example the shell for a 48" is $1500 Australian whereas locally I pay $500 Aust
Walkers are fantastic mowers but our maintence bills are twice as much as yours
Old 06-27-2001, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a '94 Walker C with a 42" non-tilt deck.

I bought a 48" SD deck for this machine back in Feb 2001. I love it. This new deck is a tilt up, has two bldes, no baffles.

The grass flies out and doesn't hit anything. Easy to clean (if you need too) and change blades. I just got some MO-deck spray and I am trying that for grass on the nubs and blades.

It cuts the same wet or dry. I had to change my old style square shaft to the new spline shaft. That was expensive but definately worth it because it runs much smoother now. No vibrations.

Old 06-27-2001, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am pretty sure Walker makes a flip kit for your deck Mowman. 'Least that is what my dealer tells me. We have one of those decks now and are strongly considering upgrading it. You are right..it is a pain to get underneat to clean and remove the blades. I have not priced the conversion kit yet so I don't know how much it is.
Old 06-29-2001, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker 48" tilt kit

Yes, Walker does make a tilt up kit for the 48" deck.

It is Walker part # 8600 and it sells for approx. $400.00

Dave