Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-04-2007, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Back when I only used walk-behinds, my hands ached to the bone. Getting a rider is what kept me in this business.

But your problem is more severe than anything I experienced. I was speaking with one of my competitors this past fall and noticed his hands. He can't straighten them. He's not sure how much longer he can do this sort of work.

There's a fellow at the local Lesco whose got a hand that flops around like he's got parkinsons. But it's the result of nerve damage from using weedwackers all day!

I recommend that everybody wear leather gloves when they operate a walk-behind or wacker. It helps.

If you are using a weedwacker that is vibrating noticeably, throw it out and get a new one. It's no time to be cheap. I recommend the Kawasaki KB-26A. Lightweight. Good power. Very durable. Lesco sells them.

To continue to use a wacker that vibrates is foolish since now you know nerve damage can result.

To all the guys with hand pain, I'm real sorry to hear about it. That's a serious problem.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

carpal tunnel

I'm not saying that my carpal tunnel went away completely without the surgery. By December, they ache if I don't watch what I do. I no longer trim hedges for 8 hours straight. I'll break it up and clean up after myself so I'm not trimming nonstop. The Walker mower definately helped. It's January and I actually have no joint pain at this time. Sometimes I do have to sleep with my hands and wrists in a certain position or they fall asleep.. But it beats tapping my fingers and hands against the steering wheel constantly to keep them awake when I drive. In this type of business you take the good with the bad. For a little carpal tunnel discomfort, my waist is probably eight inches slimmer than any of the other 7 guys I roomed with in college that all took desk jobs.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had the same thing in my wrist and a doc told me to take vitiman b-12 been taking same for over a year and no problems
Old 01-06-2007, 05:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I too have a problem with hand and finger pain. It is usually not to bad but It usually hits me the worst rightat the beggining of the mowing season.
Also get some involuntary hand and finger movement or tingling that will cause me to drop a glass or bottle from time to time, but not often.

It's the only job i know,
Where i can walk in circles and talk to myself
And no one thinks i'm crazy.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Couldn't you just get employee's?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think we all have it in one way or another. I find my hands fall asleep when driving for a long period of time or in my sleep very often. I also think it was just from constand power tool/equipment use. Can happen to anyone. I would also get it when I was a pencil pusher and was on the computer all day.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 01-11-2007, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Broke my wrist several years ago and had to have surgery. The Doctor did the Carpal Tunnel proceedure while he was there, no more problem. Now if I can get a couple new discs for my back Im money!!
6 x 12 open trailer
Toro 48" w/b
Exmark 36" w/b
Snapper 36" w/b
Toro 21" SP mower.
Echo blowers and trimmers
Old 01-16-2007, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My fingers used to go numb while driving, I realized I was gripping the wheel too tight. I also used to get arm pump when I was racing motocross. The arm pump was mostly from gripping the bars too tightly.
This past year, my fingers were getting really numb. After a couple of months of not using the wb, they are ok. I figure it was from the really long distance for the controls on the walkbehind, plus I was continuously making corrections using the brakes instead of a little body english every once in a while.
Still, a Z is probably the best medicine.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin4$ View Post
im a owner operator for 10 yrs now and experiencing hand problems.my hands hurt,sometimes tingle,and have joint pains.seems like arthrits & carpol tunnel.any one else have these problems after years of using walk behind mowers?i think there are not many more years left for me to keep going.i do @ 30 accounts per week on a p/t basis.used to do as many as 65 /wk with a partner.
I had the carpol tunnel surgery a couple of years ago. Have not had the numbing, tingleing, droping or hands aching at night since. This started for me at 18 yrs old (now close to 55) my doctor told me that the sooner you do this the better you will respond such as regaining feeling in your finger tips.
If I could go back I would have done it a long time ago.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't had the hand problem but have had problems with my back. Just had major surgery 5 weeks ago and now im back bigger better and stronger then ever. Surgery works wonders