Register free!

Old 12-16-2006, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Brush Clearing?

I'm looking at a brush clearing job along a pretty long drive. I'll be cutting all the brush by hand with loppers, chainsaw, etc. Then i have a bear-cat 5" chipper that runs off the pto of my Yanmar tractor and i will be chipping it all into the woods. I was wondering what i should charge hourly for a project like this...the yanmar uses nothing for fuel, i could probably run it the whole time on one tank of fuel. I was thinking about $35-40 an hour. is that reasonable or am i too low?
thanks for all the help guys it is greatly appreciated. If it helps i can try and get some pics of it today and post.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats around what I charge. $35-$40 Sometimes I include my travel time too.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If the brush is that small, might try using a machete for speed....then charge accordingly. I would charge my cost per hour on my equip...tractor, chipper, saw, truck, trailer and then add what I want to net + 35%.

for example:

tractor........$15.00 ph
chipper........$7.50 ph
saw............$2.00 ph
truck...........$20.00 ph
trailer..........$3.00 ph

equip total======$47.50

my money.....$30.00 ph
+ 35%..........$10.50 ph

grand total==============$88.00 ph........this is a cheap rate for the amount of equip being used on the job.IMO
Old 12-16-2006, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Why not just rent a small walk-behind brush hog and eliminate cutting it down and picking it up to run through the chipper?

Seems as if easier and can get in and out with one piece of equipment.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-so-n-so
If the brush is that small, might try using a machete for speed....then charge accordingly. I would charge my cost per hour on my equip...tractor, chipper, saw, truck, trailer and then add what I want to net + 35%.

for example:

tractor........$15.00 ph
chipper........$7.50 ph
saw............$2.00 ph

equip total======$47.50

my money.....$30.00 ph
+ 35%..........$10.50 ph

grand total==============$88.00 ph........this is a cheap rate for the amount of equip being used on the job.IMO

THATS FUNNY !! $2 an hour for a chain saw and $3 an hour for a trailer haha
I dont think you'll be getting a lot of work for $88 an hour...but I could be wrong
Old 12-16-2006, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep....$35.00 per hour seems about right.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd wouldn't charge under $40/hr. more like $50. Brush cutting can be tough work the taller the brush is the more work it takes because your have to cut some then clear it then cut again and so on. Most of the time you can't just go thru and cut it all down and clear it out in one shot. I've done quite a bit of it too. Do you have a string trimmer that you could mount a brush cutting blade on? this has worked well for me and saves alot of manual hand labor.
F450 XLT Dump
Fisher Xtreme Vees
22' Enclosed Trailer
16' Open Trailer
14' Dump Trailer
10' Open Trailer
Redmax 2stroke Equipment
Walker, Wright Stander, Lesco
Little Wonder, Stihl, ect. ect.....
Old 12-17-2006, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-so-n-so

for example:

tractor........$15.00 ph
chipper........$7.50 ph
saw............$2.00 ph

equip total======$47.50

my money.....$30.00 ph
+ 35%..........$10.50 ph

15 an hour for tractor?...wow that seems low...i would say $55 an hour for tractor...you'll probably spend after you cut all the limbs what, 3 hours max with it?...then $45 an hour for manual labor which includes the lopers, etc...maybe your area is priced diffrent but thats what we charge for our 4700 when we mow fields
Old 12-19-2006, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think he means only one operator for all the equipment. Only one piece would be running at a time but he would be charging a flat fee for everything. I have seen this done before on job where you needs lots of different types of equipment but can only do one job at a time.
He also said it was his "cost" per hour for the equipment then he added 35% profit to that.
Lots of General Contractors bid jobs at " cost plus' In other words they look after the job and bill you what the other contractors charged then add a percentage to the total for their wages.
Contractor A $950.00
Contractor B $500.00
Contractor C $550.00
Total $2000.00 times 15% for the General Contractor wages.
Bill to customer is $2300.00 plus taxes if applicable
This way the general can never lose.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dirt digger....no way would i operate that tractor for 15.00 ph. I am just trying to show bkdlawnco how to job cost his equipment. Everything cost so much an hour to operate. I operate my tractor and one implement for $75.00 ph with a $125.00 first hour charge to cover drive time. If it takes additional equipment (saw, stump grinder, mowers etc) the price goes up according to the equipment COST per hour.
Most of us get at least $35.00 per hour to hand weed beds using no equipment. Why would you get the same money and have tons of equipment on the job??? Maybe afraid to ask for money. Maybe afraid to lose the job. Maybe don't understand equipment costing. Maybe enjoy working for free. I don't know. But I do know this.......It won't take to many of those jobs to figure out that you got more work than you can possibly do and your checking balance is getting smaller and smaller. I found out the hard way myself. ( I didn't have the luxury of having lawnsite at my finger tips)

just trying to help a brother out....... thanks