Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-21-2006, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Does anybody have ADD or ADHD?

ADD Attention Decit Disorder ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivty Disorder

My brain is always going 100 mph. I can never relax my mind, I get my thoughts confused with reality. Meaning, I have whole conversations with my customers before and after I met them. I am not crazy, it is my brain is always thinking. I come up with some good ideas sometimes. I'm 37 years old. I have always been a little hyper and not focused on anything for too long.. A new job every few years, I get bored with them and need a change. I am pleasant to be around and a hard worker. I just get tired of the same ole thing, quick!

I love this business. I am constantly doing something else everyday. I am in charge of it all. Some mornings I have no work, but soon the calls come in and I make money. I just wish I could focus on things more.

I have read up on this. I am seeking professional advice in January. I would like to know if other lco's (you) have this disorder or know someone close to you with it and if any improvement through drugs or therapy. Thanks Mike
Old 12-21-2006, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have ADD. Wanna go ride bikes.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Mow town I am right there with you. I am 37 years olds and have ADHD. I barely made it through college. Working outside has been great for me. Sitting in a office all day with ADHD actually gave me anxiety and depression. I woke up every morning dreading the thought of going to sit in a office all day The doctor put me medication for anxiety and depression and all it did was vaccum out my brain. If I wanted to do that I just could smoke a fatty. When I started working outside it was the best thing I ever did. I feel great everyday(except for minor muscle aches) and no more anxiety or depression. The lawn business is great for people with ADHD.
Walker 42"ghs
Quick 36 Samurai
36" exmark turf tracer
21" exmark metro
2 21" honda push mowers
Shindaiwa trimmers, edgers, backpacks,chainsaw,hedge trimmers

Last edited by turf dog; 12-21-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have never been tested for it but i believe i have it for a couple reasons. i can never focuse on something like you said for very long. especially if i dont want to be doing it. i am very skilled when it comes to hands on but not very smart in school. i have no trouble participating in class but can never focuse on my homework. it feels liek theres a barrier in my brain. many kids at my school take aderol (sp?) or something similar and from what i hear it works wonders. it has been known to be bad for your heart though.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Never been tested but I swear I am ADD. Have a hard time focusing on anything and I get bored with things very fast. Can't ever finish a game or a puzzle, or a book for that matter. Very annoying actually... I know i'm not ADHD though, never been really hyper in my life, too lazy to be hyper, lol.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think every one deals with the same issues. I know I do but I don't think I have ADD or anything else. I think it is just how you deal with things.

What pressure you are under to deal with them. If you are a young single guy you have the luxury of changing jobs etc. If you are married with kids you have to suck it up and find ways to deal with you distractions.

I mean hell, here it is almost 4:00 in the morning and I have been on site here for almost 2 hours because I could not sleep. I have pages and pages of business ideas, organizational charts, job descriptions,etc I put down on paper only a small fraction of them actually in use. I carry around 3 x 5 cards to write everything down because I can't remember a thing.

That is no disease its just life. But I'm sure if there is a buck to be made someone will come up with a name and a treatment. Not cure mind you how much can you make off a cure?

No disrespect to the people with ADD kids bouncing off the walls, mine do to I just don't treat them for it.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think ADD is along the same lines as CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome) and any other number of maladies that show no external or abnormal signs of illness...

Perhaps the words syndrome and disorder are the clue here, not sure exactly how to describe it, but for lack of better words, it's almost as if someone were wishing themselves to have some type of ailment, maybe for something to complain about and perhaps as an excuse to get away from some responsibilities.

Yet, some of those same guys work in the rain and in temperatures above 104 F...

Go figure
Old 12-22-2006, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you may be bi-polar....which is the Adult ADD. No biggie...they put you on some focus drugs and ur all good. I know bi-polar sounds bad...but there are all kinds of levels of bi-polar and just because you arent suicidal or a manic...it doesn't mean you arent bi-polar. Your doctor will probably tell you all that, and they will probably put you on Wellbutrin
Quick 36 Samurai 16HP Kawasaki
21" Honda HR215
RedMax BCZ2600S Trimmer
Echo SRM230 Trimmer
Shindaiwa LE260 Edger
Stihl BR 600 Back Pack Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl 018C Chainsaw

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com

Last edited by WJW Lawn; 12-22-2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think most business owners have ADD! I have ADHD in the worst way.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
I think ADD is along the same lines as CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome) and any other number of maladies that show no external or abnormal signs of illness...

Perhaps the words syndrome and disorder are the clue here, not sure exactly how to describe it, but for lack of better words, it's almost as if someone were wishing themselves to have some type of ailment, maybe for something to complain about and perhaps as an excuse to get away from some responsibilities.

Yet, some of those same guys work in the rain and in temperatures above 104 F...

Go figure
Just because it is not something you can see and is called a syndrome, does not mean it is not real. Personally, I think ADD and ADHD can be trated in children with a good swift kick in the butt and some discipline. Now, I will agree that there are some extreme cases where that will not work, but it is all about being taught how to focus yourself.

Now with something like CTS, I assure you it is real. My wife has had it in both of her hands/wrists. There is no way she would have wanted to have her wrists cut open and undergo surgery if it was not real and that was not the only way to fix it.

Now, some of you may disagree with me about ADD and ADHD. I am having some issues with this in my children now. I refuse to let them be diagnosed, but I am also not going to stand by and let nothing happen either. I will teache them methods to get them to focus.