Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-22-2006, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

One of my friends is ADD...same thing the OP described, mind racing all the time...my friend watches a lot of movies, he claims that's the only way his brain will shut off for awhile.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Adderall is an amazing drug. It'll take those million ideas running around your head and organize them.

it's impossible to explain unless you have taken it
Old 12-22-2006, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

They said i have adhd and they gave me medicine to take but i never took it. I like to be thinking all of the time about everything. I get alot of my great business ideas from this.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a son now 20 years old with ADHD. He took Adderall when he was a kid and it helped him dramatically. He now chooses not to take it as an adult and he seems to do OK. ADHD is a medical condition and a form of mental illness. For those of you who don't beleive that the condition exists and refuse to have your children treated, good luck, you will need it when they become teenagers.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have ADD and OCD. That is fun! Everything I do has to be perfect. Never had a complaint from a customer, so I must be doing something right!
Old 12-25-2006, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ADD Vs. ADHD!!!

I am only 23, ive been taking medication for add/adhd for about 4-5 yrs now.
If you think you have it (ADD)... and its actually causing you problems in your everyday life (where as you dont ever feel like getting up and going/to get anything done) then you deff...have ADD/ADHD..

-BUT-

There is a FACTUAL difference in the two diagnosis of ADD/ADHD!
ADD - You don't neccessarily have hyperactive tendensy..you only lack motivation!

ADHD - This is when you don't lack the energy to get up and go but you cant seem to stay focused on anything for an extended period of time.. ADHD can usually be recognized faster than ADD!!!

-----------------------------------------
Just something to think about!
Old 12-25-2006, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbf0786
I am only 23, ive been taking medication for add/adhd for about 4-5 yrs now.
If you think you have it (ADD)... and its actually causing you problems in your everyday life (where as you dont ever feel like getting up and going/to get anything done) then you deff...have ADD/ADHD..

-BUT-

There is a FACTUAL difference in the two diagnosis of ADD/ADHD!
ADD - You don't neccessarily have hyperactive tendensy..you only lack motivation!

ADHD - This is when you don't lack the energy to get up and go but you cant seem to stay focused on anything for an extended period of time.. ADHD can usually be recognized faster than ADD!!!

-----------------------------------------
Just something to think about!

How does one get actually "diagnosed" for ADD? I'm 90% sure that is my problem but I haven't a clue who to go to and ask about it. Can my family Doctor help me at all or do I need to see some sort of psychologist since this is a mental problem? I'd love to just try some type of medication and feel it out, see what happens for myself. What are you taking and is the same type of med for someone who only has ADD?
I see some other suggestions in other posts... I need to research a little more and see if I can get in and see someone!
Old 12-25-2006, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been thinking for years that I have ADD, and this thread just seems to confirm it. I have never taken meds for it nor have I been diagnosed, although I was diagnosed with depression about 4 years ago (I am 21 now) and took Wellbutrin. I quit the Wellbutrin after about a year. My mind really goes to work and I love the outdoors, lawn work is almost like a drug in itself to me. Finishing high school was quite a challenge in ways. We had a lot of hands-on shops and I did great in those classes. Anything that required me to sit and study seemed almost impossible. I did start and finish school early though, I was the youngest in class. Looking back, I wish I took a drug that would've improved my learning capabilities. Now I run into problems when it comes to managing things and keeping a business organized. I also have physical issues with my knees and back but that is a different story.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jason, whether you see a psychologist or a general practitioner, make sure that they have clinical experience in the diagnosis and treatment of ADHD. If your GP does not have that experience, maybe he/she could refer you to a physician that does.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

ADD is real. But do not confuse ADD with a lack of discipline. I don't want to get anyone in a tissy, but I think a lot of people confuse ADD. Here is the true definition of ADD

Attention Deficit Disorder is a biologically based condition causing a persistent pattern of difficulties resulting in one or more of the the following behaviors:

* inattention
* hyperactivity
* impulsivity

Inattention

difficulty attending or focusing on a specific task. People with Attention Deficit Disorder may become distracted within a matter of minutes. Inattentive behavior may also cause difficulties with staying organized (e.g. losing things), keeping track of time, completing tasks, and making careless errors.

Hyperactivity

difficulty inhibiting behavior. These people are in constant motion. They may engage in excessive fiddling, leg swinging, and squirming in their chair.

Impulsivity

difficulty controlling impulses. These people do not stop and think before they act. They say and do whatever comes into their mind without thinking about the consequences. They might say something inappropriate and regret it later, blurt out a response to question before a person is done speaking to them, or have difficulty waiting for their turn in line.

The best way to tell if you or a loved one has ADD is the third thing Impulsivity. A lot of people have a hard time focusing on things, this is called A LACK OF DISCIPLINE, we all know what its like to be hyper. But how many of you who claim to be ADD actually have a problem with just saying the first thing that comes to mind?

Meds work, but like any med they have side affects.
IF you think you have ADD and want to seek help, go talk to a psychiatrist.
If you want to take a natural supplement, try 5_HTP or L-Tyrosine you can pick up both from GNC or any health food place.

My best wishes for anyone with ADD, It is truly a handicap to deal with.