Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-05-2007, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Um, Like, yea,........ who?, Where?, Ummmmm, What was the Question?.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Now lets not confuse ADD with being a burnout
Old 01-05-2007, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just being a little silly. Is that you? Beautiful!
Old 01-06-2007, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am another who had ADD long before they started diagnosing it commonly. Like others I got into this business so I could work outdoors, and do different things.

I have found that Meditation can be extremely beneficial. You realy do need a good instructor and it takes time, but the rewards are worth the effort.

I highly reccomend meditation over medication or other therapies.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

But a person has to be able to sit still long enough for meditation to be effective.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiehopper View Post
But a person has to be able to sit still long enough for meditation to be effective.
There is no "long enough to be effective". Mental excercize is just like physical, you start with what you can do and that will be beneficial. From there you have to push yourself to do more to progress.

Would you not excercize because you cannot lift 200 pounds? Maybe, but what you should do is start with fifty pounds.

If you are just gonna say I cannot do it, you might as well just stay in bed the rest of your life
Old 01-06-2007, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkintheGarden View Post
There is no "long enough to be effective". Mental excercize is just like physical, you start with what you can do and that will be beneficial. From there you have to push yourself to do more to progress.

Would you not excercize because you cannot lift 200 pounds? Maybe, but what you should do is start with fifty pounds.

If you are just gonna say I cannot do it, you might as well just stay in bed the rest of your life
works for you huh? well, it certainly worth a try.
but how do you get a 7 year old to even start to meditate?

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
works for you huh? well, it certainly worth a try.
but how do you get a 7 year old to even start to meditate?
I got nothing when it comes to seven year olds.
Prayers at bedtime maybe?
Old 01-07-2007, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkintheGarden View Post
I got nothing when it comes to seven year olds.
Prayers at bedtime maybe?
you know, i think there is some wisdom with that. really worth a try. we certainly wouldn't want him to be 27 and still taking those pills.
by the way, those pills really do work for him. he doesn't get zombiefied like some other kids i've seen on them. he seems to be able to focus better.
i do think that in some cases though, the pills are used as an aid for the parents to help control normal children much like television is. spend a little time with them and a lot of children wouldn't need the pills. they should be used to treat a legitimate medical condition. not to simply allow parents to not be bothered. some parents go through several drs before they find one willing to prescribe the pills. that's just wrong.
now back to our regularly scheduled lawnboy topics.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

don't beat up on yourself . I'm 49 and every boy I knew couldn't sit still in class and daydreamed. I managed to make it through college and started my first business in my last year. Many of my friends went on to college or in the trades. There was no stigma placed on what you did just as long as you did something. Discipline is what kept us in line and the diagnosis was boys will be boys. Today in the MOMMY state we live in they want to label us and drug us. Teachers today are afraid to discipline kids because the parents feel that "time outs " are the way to go. DISCIPLINE!! Just my life experience but maybe so called "ADD" is just one of Gods way of making boys different than girls so they can do different things in their lives. Soccer moms were created when the women took over control of families and wouldn't let their kids get hurt playing baseball or football. Split up families where moms took the kids created bike helmets and play dates. We were told to stop playing if there was any blood. This business is great relief for me too since I enjoy the work and the challenge of running a business. Add , Adhd , Naacp, whatever they label you with these things didn't just drop out of the sky they have been around for ages. Whatever hand your dealt find a way to make it work for you. If the meds work for you thats great but your probably not too different than the rest of us boys. JUst my 2 cents