Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-07-2007, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

ADD isn't just guy thing though... plenty of women have it. By the way,for the record, I'm not a soccer mom..in fact, I'm not a mom at all.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Shure !! I was speaking in broad general terms. There are all kinds of people. When my son was in high school he could get good grades if we cracked the whip and worked on it with him.As and Bs got him a good student discount on his car insurance. As soon as we let up he lost interest in school. He finally told us he wanted to learn a trade skill. He had girls in his Automotive tech. class for the very same reason. They needed something to dive into that they could concentrate on and was tangible. The abstract ideas of regular classes caused their minds to loose concentration and daydream. There were 2 girls in a class of 50 . These kids were not dumb they were just bored. Its just finding the thing that interests kids and fostering it. Not all kids can sit still in class, study, and go to college. They don't need to be medicated to be like the "others" they need to be motivated to choose other careers. Thank God we live in an area that still funds tech. schools at the high school level and values the program. My views may be chauvanistic to some but I have the greatest respect for my wife who is very good at many more things than I am they are just different. I am not a person who believes totally in gender roles however, I believe There ARE things men are programmed to do and women far out class men at .

Last edited by jeffex; 01-07-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowtown Mike View Post
ADD Attention Decit Disorder ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivty Disorder

My brain is always going 100 mph. I can never relax my mind, I get my thoughts confused with reality. Meaning, I have whole conversations with my customers before and after I met them. I am not crazy, it is my brain is always thinking. I come up with some good ideas sometimes. I'm 37 years old. I have always been a little hyper and not focused on anything for too long.. A new job every few years, I get bored with them and need a change. I am pleasant to be around and a hard worker. I just get tired of the same ole thing, quick!

I love this business. I am constantly doing something else everyday. I am in charge of it all. Some mornings I have no work, but soon the calls come in and I make money. I just wish I could focus on things more.

I have read up on this. I am seeking professional advice in January. I would like to know if other lco's (you) have this disorder or know someone close to you with it and if any improvement through drugs or therapy. Thanks Mike
Well I have never been diagnosed with ADD but believe i have it. I always need to keep things organized or I feel anxiety or restless. I also have a touch of social anxiety but more when I was younger. I am 33 now and will be starting my landscaping buisness this year.I think this line of work will be good for me to.I would probably not recomend drugs as they just cover up problems instead of finding the root.I myself dont consider ADD to necessarilly be a sickness but maybe a personality trait.But I have been frustrated with it before.I wasnt good in school and wished I could be. I just try to plan,organise,trust in God and do whats right and God takes the wheel from there.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

By the way how many of you who claim to have ADD had trouble focusing on this thread I bet it kept you reading and focusing for atleast a half hour.It seems to be more of a problem when your not realy interested in something.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was really focused on the thread. The problem is i forgot to focus on the other 10 things i was doing for 20 minutes.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf dog View Post
Mow town I am right there with you. I am 37 years olds and have ADHD. I barely made it through college. Working outside has been great for me. Sitting in a office all day with ADHD actually gave me anxiety and depression. I woke up every morning dreading the thought of going to sit in a office all day The doctor put me medication for anxiety and depression and all it did was vaccum out my brain. If I wanted to do that I just could smoke a fatty. When I started working outside it was the best thing I ever did. I feel great everyday(except for minor muscle aches) and no more anxiety or depression. The lawn business is great for people with ADHD.
I never thought of that. I hate to work indoors except to stay out of the rain. I am much happier and better focused when I can be out in the sun. I was never tested for ADD or similair condition but being outside helps me. I used to work for the County in a basement print shop. In the Winter I would go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. I was a mental case and depressed, nearly suicidal. (that may have been the job though). Mowing is much better for me. Turf Dog you are right on the money with this post.
6 x 12 open trailer
Toro 48" w/b
Exmark 36" w/b
Snapper 36" w/b
Toro 21" SP mower.
Echo blowers and trimmers
Old 02-08-2007, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

A great read for those who might have ADD

There's a really good book called "Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood"
by Edward M. Hallowell, M.D. If you think you might be dealing with ADD issues, it can be a big help. You can find it at Amazon for around $15.

There's another called "A.D.D. on the Job: Making yor A.D.D. Work for You" by Lynn Weiss, Ph.D., that has some excellent practical suggestions. The basic approach is that if you can manage the bad stuff of ADD, it can actually be kind of a gift. ADD people usually have tons of energy and creativity if it can be channeled the right way.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybow View Post
By the way how many of you who claim to have ADD had trouble focusing on this thread I bet it kept you reading and focusing for atleast a half hour.It seems to be more of a problem when your not realy interested in something.

I had trouble focusing. I skipped pages 2-5 and went straight to 6. I have ADHD. I was diagnosed when i was in the 2nd grade and i just turned 20. I take Concerta. Its a once daily tablet and works for 12 hours. There is a difference when i dont take it. I cant focus on anything. I cant focus right now (11:28 pm) cuz it wore off. I tried controlling it myself for a week and coudnt do it. try the meds and take them everyday.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

The ability to hyperfocus at times is common with ADD

It's kind of ironic, but nearly everyone with ADD seems capable of extreme focus at times. They call it "hyperfocus," and it means we can get completely lost for hours at a time into something that interests us. Of course, that also means that we lose track of everything else and blow off appointments, forget to go to bed until 2 a.m., and fail to do things we told our spouse or boss or client we'd do. It's all part of the ADD package, and it's frustrating as h*ll.

When I'm in that mode, I try to set a timer for 45 minutes or an hour so I don't completely disappear from life. My wife calls it "when I'm in the zone."

A lot of folks with ADD find it useful to have an alarm watch to prod them out of their "zone." Timex makes an easy-to-use analog alarm watch that can be found at Wal-Mart for around $30. If you sit in front of the computer much, it helps to have all your appointments or "to do's" entered into a program that beeps when it's time to do something.

Now, what was it that I'm supposed to be doing now? :-)
Old 02-12-2007, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

ADD is real for sure

YOU describeb me to a T in your post. Have not been diagnosed but my daughter has she is on meds. I cant beleive the diff. she is doing better in school and is even a bigger joy to deal with. She can focus now!