Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2006, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

My take on "it"

Sitting here looking at lawnsite and reflecting on things from this past year, and here are some good reflections from what I have seen that might be beneficial to new companies just starting up. So I thought I would pass it on.

1. There are a multitude of great mowers being manufactured, so go with what is available in your area, what fits what you feel are your needs, and what will be the best all around mower for your first mower.

2. Please be open minded enough to not be paint color or brand loyal. From my own experience I have discovered that just because a company makes a great ZTR, that doesn't mean they make a great walk-behind for example.

3. If you take your time and do a nice job on a lawn the customers will want you back and will recommend you. You need to figure out what your time is worth and how much to charge.

4. Please don't take a job just to have a customer. Quality customers will recommend you to other quality customers. Good people unusually have friends who are good people. Dirt bags usually have dirt bags for friends. As the old saying goes "birds of a feather flock together".

5. Regardless what truck or equipment you have, keep it clean and maintained. If you cut grass at a home that cost a quarter million (that's alot here is NC), the last thing you want to do is leave a pool of transmission fluid on the drive way.

6. If you start with limited funds and your mower is used, that doesn't mean it has to sound like a loud Harley. If the muffler is trashed or missing, replace it. I like loud Harley's, but little old ladies usually don't.

7. Be nice. Always be courteous, and smile. Anyone can be a donkey, but as the old saying goes "you catch more flies with honey". There are alot of rude people in the world as it is. No one is going to pay you to be a donkey, regardless if your the best lawn service in the world.

8. Never have so much to do that you always seem rushed. Do the job right or reschedule. Customers like to feel like they are important. They are if you want to have a thriving business. Take the time to ask them how they feel about your service. If they have comments or concerns address them. Take them to heart. It might help you grow.

9. Read, research, and always try to expand your knowledge. If your going to make this your career. Respect yourself enough to be a professional, and know what your doing.

10. This is your baby. You created it, grow it, and take care of it. How it turns out is up to you. I hope your child is a winner, and not a brat.

Merry Christmas from NC

We love and own Ford Trucks. We run Great Dane ZTR's, Snapper Hydro Walk-behinds, John Deere Tractors, and lots of Husqvarna hand held equipment, and too much other stuff to list. We use equipment that fits our need, and are not loyal to a paint color or brand name. Color and name don't get the job done-the equipment and workers do.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great post!!!!!!!! I agree 100 percent with ya

2008 Toyota Tundra
2009 Wright Stander RH 52"
2008Scag Tiger cub 61"
2006 Husquvarna ZTR 42"
Stihl BR600 blowers
Kawasaki/ echo handhelds

37, Married, 7 year and 1 year old sons , Solo operator, Average 60-70 accounts, mostly residental, Been in business since 1994

When not working I am either flying, boating, jet skiing, or riding my motorcycles

Here is some videos of how I enjoy my time off http://vimeo.com/user2428477/videos
Old 12-23-2006, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

THIS is what makes Lawnsite worth reading. Wonderful post on how to build, maintain and grow a successful business.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like #4!! thanks for the great post! lots of truth!
Old 12-24-2006, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

awesome post...should be the "laws of lawns!"
Old 12-24-2006, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Good stuff
Old 12-24-2006, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This should be: "The 10 commandments of owning and operating a successfull landscape business"

Thanks for the insight.
F450 XLT Dump
Fisher Xtreme Vees
22' Enclosed Trailer
16' Open Trailer
14' Dump Trailer
10' Open Trailer
Redmax 2stroke Equipment
Walker, Wright Stander, Lesco
Little Wonder, Stihl, ect. ect.....
Old 12-24-2006, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm copying that post on the palm of my hand so I can read it over and over.
Great Post !!!!!
Thanks
Old 12-24-2006, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow

Even my wife says I did good. Thank you all for your comments. I am glad if what I posted here is a help to any of you.

Merry Christmas

We love and own Ford Trucks. We run Great Dane ZTR's, Snapper Hydro Walk-behinds, John Deere Tractors, and lots of Husqvarna hand held equipment, and too much other stuff to list. We use equipment that fits our need, and are not loyal to a paint color or brand name. Color and name don't get the job done-the equipment and workers do.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I couldn't have said it better myself, I have proven to myself that:

- Each piece of equipment must be checked out, some will be lemons, yes, regardless of past records.
- Quality outperforms quantity any day of the year... I've done it both ways, the bank deposits speak for themselves here.

But in addition to all that, I'd like to add that I find it is VERY important to build a nest egg of parts and money because:
- Over time, you want to become independent of dealer support. Being able to do most maintenance yourself will save you not only money and time, but a fair amount of frustration and delay as well.
- Having spare parts on hand of course facilitates the above, but if you've built up a 2-3 year supply of stock, you are now able to operate at bare minimum <- An absolute necessity in times of drought or just when business is slow.
- Money is power. I have found once I have my next winter survival money saved (which I now save FIRST thing in spring), it is much easier to have a take it or leave it attitude.
- Too much money is not good: For one, I am more likely to spend it stupid, but also it is better to have parts than cash because nobody wants your parts lol. But, a few thousand as a safety cushion never hurts.

Also when in doubt on whether to bid low or high, bid high lol.
Yes, because you can always come down but you can never go up.

Peace