Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-25-2006, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow"N"Bud
Even my wife says I did good. Thank you all for your comments. I am glad if what I posted here is a help to any of you.

Merry Christmas
There you go! No matter what the others say on here ... if your wife thinks you did a good job ... you are a successful man!
(at least right now)

Good reading ... Thanks!

Dave

Proud Supporter of:
Hustler mowers ~ Xtreme racks ~ STHIL products
Old 12-26-2006, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

NICE!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Sitting here looking at lawnsite and reflecting on things from this past year, and here are some good reflections from what I have seen that might be beneficial to new companies just starting up. So I thought I would pass it on.

1. There are a multitude of great mowers being manufactured, so go with what is available in your area, what fits what you feel are your needs, and what will be the best all around mower for your first mower.

2. Please be open minded enough to not be paint color or brand loyal. From my own experience I have discovered that just because a company makes a great ZTR, that doesn't mean they make a great walk-behind for example.

3. If you take your time and do a nice job on a lawn the customers will want you back and will recommend you. You need to figure out what your time is worth and how much to charge.

4. Please don't take a job just to have a customer. Quality customers will recommend you to other quality customers. Good people unusually have friends who are good people. Dirt bags usually have dirt bags for friends. As the old saying goes "birds of a feather flock together".

5. Regardless what truck or equipment you have, keep it clean and maintained. If you cut grass at a home that cost a quarter million (that's alot here is NC), the last thing you want to do is leave a pool of transmission fluid on the drive way.

6. If you start with limited funds and your mower is used, that doesn't mean it has to sound like a loud Harley. If the muffler is trashed or missing, replace it. I like loud Harley's, but little old ladies usually don't.

7. Be nice. Always be courteous, and smile. Anyone can be a donkey, but as the old saying goes "you catch more flies with honey". There are alot of rude people in the world as it is. No one is going to pay you to be a donkey, regardless if your the best lawn service in the world.

8. Never have so much to do that you always seem rushed. Do the job right or reschedule. Customers like to feel like they are important. They are if you want to have a thriving business. Take the time to ask them how they feel about your service. If they have comments or concerns address them. Take them to heart. It might help you grow.

9. Read, research, and always try to expand your knowledge. If your going to make this your career. Respect yourself enough to be a professional, and know what your doing.

10. This is your baby. You created it, grow it, and take care of it. How it turns out is up to you. I hope your child is a winner, and not a brat.

Merry Christmas from NC

You sure do make us North Carolina folks look good!!!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Sitting here looking at lawnsite and reflecting on things from this past year, and here are some good reflections from what I have seen that might be beneficial to new companies just starting up. So I thought I would pass it on.

1. There are a multitude of great mowers being manufactured, so go with what is available in your area, what fits what you feel are your needs, and what will be the best all around mower for your first mower.

2. Please be open minded enough to not be paint color or brand loyal. From my own experience I have discovered that just because a company makes a great ZTR, that doesn't mean they make a great walk-behind for example.

3. If you take your time and do a nice job on a lawn the customers will want you back and will recommend you. You need to figure out what your time is worth and how much to charge.

4. Please don't take a job just to have a customer. Quality customers will recommend you to other quality customers. Good people unusually have friends who are good people. Dirt bags usually have dirt bags for friends. As the old saying goes "birds of a feather flock together".

5. Regardless what truck or equipment you have, keep it clean and maintained. If you cut grass at a home that cost a quarter million (that's alot here is NC), the last thing you want to do is leave a pool of transmission fluid on the drive way.

6. If you start with limited funds and your mower is used, that doesn't mean it has to sound like a loud Harley. If the muffler is trashed or missing, replace it. I like loud Harley's, but little old ladies usually don't.

7. Be nice. Always be courteous, and smile. Anyone can be a donkey, but as the old saying goes "you catch more flies with honey". There are alot of rude people in the world as it is. No one is going to pay you to be a donkey, regardless if your the best lawn service in the world.

8. Never have so much to do that you always seem rushed. Do the job right or reschedule. Customers like to feel like they are important. They are if you want to have a thriving business. Take the time to ask them how they feel about your service. If they have comments or concerns address them. Take them to heart. It might help you grow.

9. Read, research, and always try to expand your knowledge. If your going to make this your career. Respect yourself enough to be a professional, and know what your doing.

10. This is your baby. You created it, grow it, and take care of it. How it turns out is up to you. I hope your child is a winner, and not a brat.

Merry Christmas from NC
I AGREE 100%
2004 Chevy C4500 W/12' Monroe Dump DURAMAX/ALLISON 105,000 Miles
2008 Royal Cargo 8.5'x18' Trailer

SCAG & ECHO POWER EQUIPMENT

"While your Strokin and Cummin.. I'll be takin your girl to the Max"
Old 12-27-2006, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Member

wow thats a good way to put it. nice job!!!
craftsman 21''
mtd blower
2 weedeaters
Old 12-27-2006, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very well written. Can someone say Sticky?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons Rightway Lawncare
Great post!!!!!!!! I agree 100 percent with ya
DIDO!

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 12-27-2006, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great post a must read for the newbies............sticky.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Glad You Like It

I'm truly glad you all like the post. Sorry I haven't been around on here much. I seriously hurt my back, and this is the first time I have been able to sit at the computer since right after Christmas. It is truly a testiment that if you treat your employees good they will repay the kindness when you are flat on your back as I have been. They have done a tremendious job.

We love and own Ford Trucks. We run Great Dane ZTR's, Snapper Hydro Walk-behinds, John Deere Tractors, and lots of Husqvarna hand held equipment, and too much other stuff to list. We use equipment that fits our need, and are not loyal to a paint color or brand name. Color and name don't get the job done-the equipment and workers do.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very good post!
6 x 12 open trailer
Toro 48" w/b
Exmark 36" w/b
Snapper 36" w/b
Toro 21" SP mower.
Echo blowers and trimmers