Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

pesticide bans legal

I guess this is already the case in some localities in the States, but up here it has just become official that municipalities can legally ban the use of pesticides in their cities or towns. Chemlawn and Spraytech (never heard of them), took the municipality of Hudson, Quebec to the Supreme Court over their ban on lawn chemical use. They lost...7-0.

So that oughta open the floodgates for other towns and cities to follow suit. I know it'll soon be illegal to use lawn chemicals in Halifax and their are another 15 municipalities in Quebec that are following Hudson's example. Toronto city council is considering doing the same.

Guess I'll put of purchasing a 100gal spray tank and stick with the backpacks for now. Looks like I'll be buying an aerator and a dethatcher instead sometime down the road. Oh, joy.

Old 06-28-2001, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

cutntrim- I've heard rumours about all this, but i didn't know that bans had gone as far as you say.

everyone, is this rampant elsewhere, especially in canada? is there really a chance they will ban these products, and what will chemlawn and weedman do in the future?

I was considering expanding to include spraying next year, since so many people seem to want it. Those cases you cite may have scared me away.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 06-28-2001, 05:47 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
I just called my broker and bought stock in the Garden Claw Company.
Old 06-28-2001, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to expand into lawn spraying last year. (i have had my liscenses for years} but with what has been going on with bans and public opinion I put it on the back burner and now I don't think it is the wisest place to invest in equipment and insurance. The eco nazi's seem to be winning the war right now. Its to bad most of them don't know what they are talking about and none of them is willing to pay the price in labour or alternative methods to achieve the desired results. jThey seem to think weed patches and clover lawns are beutiful.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL, good one Larry!

Old 07-02-2001, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, before everyone starts to sell off all of their spray equipment, you might want to check the legislation first. To the best of my knowledge, the ban in Halifax does NOT apply to commercial operators. It is actually trying to make sure that residential, cosmetic use of pesticides is done by licenced professionals (which I have always thought of as a good idea) and not by some dopey homeowner who thinks that roundup is perfect for getting rid of weeds in lawns.

Alan
Old 07-03-2001, 10:18 AM
Banned

Hey! Step off the roundup on lawn homeowner....I a couple of these lawn renovations each year..... I didn't even know they had lawns in Canada, I figured that they just groomed the snowpack.
Old 07-03-2001, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Well Powerreel, seing as you showed some interest, we Canucks will let you in on a secret - It's actually all Astroturf OVER the snowpack. Set out a few deck chairs and you have instant Summer. Plus you simply cut a hole in the turf and you have a beer cooler!

Alan
Old 07-03-2001, 06:22 PM
Banned

I am married to a Can from Ont. so I am in on the Canadian's plan to cause another ice age so as to allow for a fast suprise on the states on ice skates with hockey sticks! Be forwarned- I keep lot's of ice melt and salt stored @ my house.....
Old 07-17-2001, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well just as we feared! Toronto is taking the first step against our industry!

Just check out this article from the Toronto Sun 07/17/01

Tuesday, July 17, 2001

Lawns to come clean

Pesticide ban in works

By GEORGE CHRISTOPOULOS, CITY HALL BUREAU

The first step in a city-wide plan to ban Toronto homeowners from spraying chemical bug and weed killers on their lawns cleared its first hurdle yesterday.

The city's board of health endorsed a motion that begins a process of phasing out pesticide and herbicide use for cosmetic purposes.

However, board chairman Joe Mihevc said the bylaw "is not going to happen overnight" and may have to be phased in over a number of years.

"We are about 90% to 95% of the way there on public property and now we're taking the next logical step to restrict pesticide use on private property," Mihevc said. "What we want to do is proceed in a rational, reasonable manner putting in place the kinds of protections people are really insisting that we put in place."

'HISTORICAL'

Mihevc said the board was buoyed by a recent Supreme Court decision to uphold a 1991 municipal bylaw passed in Hudson, Que., which restricted pesticide use.

"The possible regulation of cosmetic pesticides fulfills (the) mandate to promote a healthy urban environment," he said.

"Years from now, Torontonians will look back to this decision as having positive historical significance."
Closed Thread