Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-16-2000, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm interested in expanding into commercial watering and am wondering if any of you provide this service? Last season our co. bought a 325 gal. truck mounted watering tank with a pump for a large landscape job. It got me thinking about servicing commercial and maybe even residential accounts. How would I go about getting business? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2000, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Our company offers watering services to our commercial maintenance contracts. We include a flyer with hourly rates with the bid for annual color and mention it in our client newsletter. We also offer watering using a meter and hose that works off of a municipal fire hydrant. You might try tying your advertising to the latest weather predictions for drought. When the weather gets dry we can keep a crew of two busy full time. Sometimes a client will set a frequency based schedule and others will give a $$ budget for a specified period of time. You might also look at advertising with local governments to gain work on public grounds. We also offer it as an add on to all of our commercial,gov't landscape installations since our warranty is tied to proper watering.<p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>
Old 03-17-2000, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have considered this also but I find it hard to imagine making a profit for the following reasons:<br>1. The cost of water in my area is high.<br>2. The source for filling is time consuming.<br>3. I do not have my own pond or spring.<br>4. The DNR does not allow drawing off from waterways (and even if they did nost of the water is polluted.<br>5. In drought times, watering bans are in effect and I could not justify where I get my water.<br>6. Water is heavy (aprox 8#/gal) which gets into big heavy equipment that does not fit well on residental streets.<br>I am not trying to defeat this idea and one alternative I might suggest is to use the homeowners or business water source and do the watering for them. Good Luck. Pray for rain. ed
Old 03-17-2000, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've giving thought to the idea, but the costs seem so high. I mean, if you have a big truck to haul that water, have to have a driver, with a CDL, most likely, have to drive from site to site, and then have to pay the driver his time for watering, which is very time consuming and you have to pay him more than a basic laborer, then the costs to the customer seem very high. If you have a driver doing it, the cost is much greater than paying some laborer 7 dollars a hour, because you might be paying 15. I mean, are people willing to pay that much?<p>For instance, if you have to water a small annual bed, say 10 by 10, imagine the costs. You have to send the truck out, get it filled (time), drive to the site (time), water the site (time), and then drive to another site. A lot of 'time' involved here.<br>It seems to me like you would have to charge at least 75-100 dollars almost just to make a profit, and who is willing to pay that considering the whole bed only has a 100 dollars of annuals in it?<p>Now, granted, if I just did a install and guaranteed the plants, then I might think about having a setup to run water to them, that or factor it into the install price. <p>Maybe that would be the best way, offer a watering program to go along with new installs, at least that way you can take the sting out of the price a little bit. <br>
Old 03-17-2000, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One more thing,<p>As i was thinking, the best people to do this for would have to be high end residential or commercial customers. They might have the money to afford it. Anyone else I think would cringe at the price you would have to charge. Just a thought.
Old 03-18-2000, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I would think that anyone who can afford such an expense for watering could also afford to have a sprinkler system put in. I beleive watering as you've suggested for lawns is very expensive know matter how you do it. Unless of course these areas are newly sodded or seeded. I'd give some high school kid $25 to drag the hoses around a couple times a day. For our bedded areas we just fill our chemical spray tank up with water and a plant fertilizer and water accordingly.
Old 03-18-2000, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

do people really pay to have someone come water there lawns? i have never heard of it, it sounds like it would be very costly to the homeowner considering most people charge 30-40 per hour for labor, why wouldnt they either put in irrigation or just buy a hose, sprinkler and timer? <p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 03-18-2000, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

As I understand it, there are a lot of the &quot;better off&quot; around my area that are digging their own wells to use them specifically for lawn irigation. Seems the cost to water using city water is way too much so they just have a well dug in their yard!<p>I haven't heard of a watering truck either, a watering hole maybe!<p>Homer
Old 03-18-2000, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

By me, we have a quarry that pumps some of the cleanest water you have ever seen. All the pool filling companys go there and fill up for free. They even have there own pumps bolted down to concrete pads next to the pipe that comes out the quarry to fill there tractor trailers full. <p>Now even with this option of free water, I still can't see it being any cheaper with all the labor and time involved. I agree, that if someone will pay for the service, then most likely they will pay for irrigation instead.
Old 03-18-2000, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only use for water trucks here is for filling<br>pools,filling water tanks for those not on town water and for dust control at road works.