Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2000, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea, I'm solo. It gets frustrating sometimes because you have to turn a job down every now and then. BUT, I also can pick and choose the jobs that I do want no matter how big. If it's a big job I just grit my teeth and get in there and try to work smart and consitant. Plus I know that when I'm done it's done RIGHT. <br>And yes I listen to Dr. Laura too. Funny thing is after hearing most of her callers I'm not as bad off and as crazy as I thought I is! hehehahahehehaaaw!!!
Old 03-15-2000, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I work alone most of the spring until July when the water business gets full time attention. I only have about 15 yards so I guess I'm part time. My little cousin hops on that deere and goes while I trim after I get in from crabbing. By that time grass has slowed down.
Old 03-17-2000, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm solo for 5 years now but my wife does the paperwork which saves me lots of time. I do all work myself all season and have 22 customers that averages to 16 hrs per week in the spring and 12 hrs per week in the slower times. I have another job that I work 56 hours per week at but I love the lawns.
Old 03-17-2000, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have 60 mowing accounts, they are all weekly thru June when some are bi-weekly due to the slowdown. I actually work and commute about 30 hours a week, no weekends unless there is prolonged rain. Most of my accounts are in groups of three to five, a few pairs, only two accounts are by themselves but they pay well and usually have extra work thru the year so I keep em on.<p>Bill
Old 03-17-2000, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

been solo/wife helped for the past 4-5 yrs. When it gets too hot or cold, I'm solo for sure. Held a full time job until this season; holding my breath & praying all goes well as I go full time. I work best with 1 helper to do trimming & blowing while I knock out the mowing. Had to turn stuff down in the past, but better that than to take it & be overwhelmed. Less is more as they say. Some places I wouldn't want to be a slave to!<br>Most me & the wife could properly maintain with our used equip. was avg. of 25 properties, some big, some small, commercial & residential. With full time job we only had 20-25 hours a week to work with (sometimes 15-20).<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 03-19-2000, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I see there are alot of soloist. are there any big guys on this sight ? I mean a million or more?
Old 03-19-2000, 07:51 PM

I'm a solo operator from northwestern Vermont. If I could, I'd get out of mowing almost completely. Only mowing I want to do is the contracts I have on a 12 month payment basis. That way I could keep them for the snow plowing. No money to speak of in mowing around here, too much lowball bidding and too many &quot;old buddy&quot; deals going on. I'd like to be able to keep mowing down to a couple days a week, choose my customers to suit myself, and spend the other days doing seeding or hardscaping, stuff I enjoy and can make money at
Old 03-19-2000, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'M MOSTLY SOLO BUT HAVE ACHANCE TO GO HUGE,BUT IHAVE BUDDIES THAT GROSS $1,000,000 or so and they tell me to keep small .THE HEADACHES)are'nt worth the profit margin! and i seem to believe them. i don't consider myself threat to them,are they right?<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 03-19-2000, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'm almost solo right now exceptfor my wife,when available.ihave achannce to get hugebut my buddy which gross'overe$1000000 pere year speaks against getting much larger,and i have to take his advice, see.ing his net profit.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 03-19-2000, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING<br>