Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2006, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Help Me and Other Members Please

I have been a member of Lawn Site for about a year. I have been upset because lately I have not seen many posts that are going to make the Lawn Care Community any better. For that reason Iím going to post a problem that Iím having with a lawn, in hopes that some of you "Experts" can educate myself and some other Lawn Site members.

Let me give you a run down on this lawn. Hopefully I can answer all your question so you can give your most accurate hypostasis.

This portion of the lawn we are discussing is total 1800sqft (1100 front and 700 side). Itís located in the Atlanta Area and we are experiencing some unseasonably warm weather (67 Highs and 48 Lows). This fescue lawn was just seeded in October and was fertilized for the first time the second week in December. We had a light rain that lasted for about 10 hours yesterday, so it has been watered pretty well.

-The front lawn has a section from the small Dogwood tree to the far right of the lawn that is turning a different color green almost brown. If you look closely it can be seen on the pics. The problem is a pretty big area, about a 300 sqft rectangle of the 1100 sqft front lawn.

Iím puzzled about this. Can I get some opinions on what it could be and what I can do to treat it? Thanks in advance.

-The opposite side of the driveway is about 700sqft and it is infested with a weed. I have taken pics of this side and the weeds.
I know this weed is henbit and if you look closely you can see the PostM that I put on it this morning. Itís a part of the problem so I thought I might show it in post.

These are the kinds of post that can educate our community. Letís make this post as helpful as possible to everyone.

Thanks again
Corrie A.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2006, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pics of the side and of weeds

Pics of the side and the weeds that are in it. This is about 700 sqft. Henbit is the weed and if you look closely to the second pic you can see the PostM I put on the weed earlier today.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2006, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not familiar with cool season grasses, so I am not an expert. But looking at the pictures, my first guess would be a fertility/soil issue. Could the yellow area be a spot where topsoil was shaved off to make a nice smooth slope? Try getting a soil analysis of the good area vs. the bad area and see if that tells you anything.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Corrie, I think your yard looks great for just being seeded in October. Complete Lawn Care reply is a good idea. Is it possible that the yellowing is due to winter? I know even though the fall and early winter temps have been above average, but there have still been a few days that got into the teens in Western Kentucky. I don't know what happened in Atlanta though. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some advice because my fescue yard looks very similar to yours, henbit, yellowing, and it was also started in October. I am trying to get better at posting pictures but by the time I size them to post you see about 2 mower swaths wide.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here are Fescue basics for the south.

Although you live in Atlanta it does not mean that in December your grass is going to look like it does in March.

The browning that you are experiencing is probably just "winter" time characteristics. Don't be alarmed yet.

Likewise the weeds may be a product of the grass still being new and weak in comparison with mature springtime fescue.

Here is how fescue should be treated.

Seed in the Fall (which you did). If you seeded properly all that should be needed is a fair amount of water.

Next, mow fescue HIGH. I never cut fescue lower that 3.5 inches. It does well when it is long. And, due to its longer length (longer than weeds) it will have a natural tendency to choke out weeds.

Do NOT use any weed control agent until late this winter (like Feb '07) or very early spring. This new grass needs to grow and get stronger before it can handle alot of chemicals.

Treat it with a good pre-M with a fertilizer in late Feb early Mar. and then go through a full fert. program in '07. By May you will have a great yard.

The big killer for fescue in the South is the summer months. Water Water Water.

I hope this helps.

Put the Blades on the Grass and SPIN 'EM brother, SPIN 'EM.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How much fertilizer did you put on? You should never fertilize a lawn this late in the season.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fertilization

Is it possible that the lawn was not fertilized evenly? It looks like the spreader was clogged??
Old 12-27-2006, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you taken a soil sample? Whats the pH level? What NPK have you been using this year?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a normal fert application, 1lb of N per 1K sqft. I was told by my Lesco rep to fertilize the lawn around that time thats why I did that. I was always under the impression that you should fertilize when the lawn is actively growing. I have been doing this for about a year so please school me.

The spreader worked pretty well and Im sure I got a even application, but I'll take that into consideration. Thanks for opinion.

I'm going to take some samples of the soil tommorrow and I'll probably get the results back in a couple of weeks.

I'm loving the replys, keep them coming.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clallen03 View Post
Just a normal fert application, 1lb of N per 1K sqft. I was told by my Lesco rep to fertilize the lawn around that time thats why I did that. I was always under the impression that you should fertilize when the lawn is actively growing. I have been doing this for about a year so please school me.

The spreader worked pretty well and Im sure I got a even application, but I'll take that into consideration. Thanks for opinion.

I'm going to take some samples of the soil tommorrow and I'll probably get the results back in a couple of weeks.

I'm loving the replys, keep them coming.

Remember that since fertilizer is still in the ground the test may be off some. I find the best time to be in the early spring that way the fert is used up.