Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2012, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Never used Poly. Never will. Completely unnecessary product.
This is very true and I could not agree more.

The people that think using poly sand is a live or die issue - are people that are NOT what I consider veteran contractors.

Two points:

1) I am in my 16th year working with pavers. Not 16 years in business, I have been in business for 22 years. When we started installing pavers there was NO poly sand. We used #2 Silaca sand. It works perfect. I've been back to jobs and have seen the sand be as hard as mortar.

2) Europe. All public sidewalks in Germany are pavers. Always has been always will be. Who here has been to Europe? I have not SEEN one interlocking pavement in Europe where Poly sand is used.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztlanLC View Post
Do you use anything else besides pure sand?
More and more customers nowdays ask and know bout polysand, might be that not all claims are tru, could be but I think even with some failure rate an a flexible installation, polysand is the only way to go for now
Definitely not "the only way to go"

That's a very mis leading statement

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2012, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Landscape View Post
I'm new here on LawnSite and have joined to share and get outside views on product. I used Techniseal poly on a few jobs and found that the product is not holding with time. It does go soft with rain, lifts, separates, ect. It is failing on two separate jobs that are now coming three years old. Is there better luck with the Gator Dust? The application is for an irregular bluestone patio. Also is there a sealer that is recommended for bluestone and possibly seal the poly as well? I've just about thrown in the towel with the poly. I don't oversell it to the customer but need a good joint filler (a solid product) for irregular bluestone patios. I started years ago with the Belgard poly and it was terrible, switched to Techniseal still not so good. Is there a better product out there? Any answers?
We're talking an ingredient that is at the top 2" of the ground. It's gonna freeze. The rain is gonna beat on it. The sun is gonna melt on it. I have NO high expectations for poly sand.

Even mortared pavements go bad. Water freezes in the winter, an the mortar cracks.

Are you 110% sure you've applied it to spect to a Tee? I can't tell you how many times I've seen poly sand incorrectly applied. And the immigrants workers are notorious for not doing it right.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2012, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wasn't there a thread or post saying something to the effect that Techniseal was having issues with their sand at one time ??
Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

We've put down pallets of Techniseal polysand on a few jobs and we've never once had a problem with installing it. We all took their "class" and became certified applicators.
The only time we don't use poly sand is on Clay pavers because of how porous they are.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daddy b View Post
We've put down pallets of Techniseal polysand on a few jobs and we've never once had a problem with installing it. We all took their "class" and became certified applicators.
The only time we don't use poly sand is on Clay pavers because of how porous they are.
That's what I used it on, but the pavers were Whitacre/Greer pressed clay pavers. Had a haze for a week or so, but went away after a while.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

2) Europe. All public sidewalks in Germany are pavers. Always has been always will be. Who here has been to Europe? I have not SEEN one interlocking pavement in Europe where Poly sand is used.

Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

This spring Unilock has partnered with a company out of Germany that makes a polysand that comes in a 50# bucket and you squeegee over the bricks to fill in the joints. It allows water to drain through, so it is exceptable for permeable installs.

The company stated that they have been using this product all over the streets in Germany for many years.

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 07-02-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Andrew, do you use poly sand?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
Andrew, do you use poly sand?
Yes.

But....I do not preach that it's do or die. I do not sell it to a client as a must have. Because it's not

Poly sand is not an absolute necessity. Keyword: absolute

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like using poly sand instead of just regular sand for most paver applications. We use it almost exclusively and have never really had any trouble with it setting up for us and beating the weather. I also think it makes a better finished product than regular sand. IMO