Register free!

Old 06-29-2001, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Green water

I checked the concrete pond I did today.

Put plants and all in on Tuesday. Water is really green what am I doing wrong.

I clean the skimmer mat once per week.

I could use a little advice.

Thanks

Old 07-04-2001, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am kind of courious also. This sounds like an algae problem to me. Doesn`t anyone have an idea?
Old 07-04-2001, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Green Water...

Indiana,

I spose this is a dumb question, but do you have fish in that concrete pond? If so, what kind, how many, how big?

Water temperature may have something to do with it too. I know Murphy is in the mountains but it's been pretty hot lately in WNC/Upstate SC. If the pond is in full sun all day long it might just be making algae soup.

How much lily pad coverage do you have of the water surface?

Hard to tell what could be causing the green water without more specifics, but probably it doesn't fall under the same heading as yellow snow...

Barbara

PS -- Check out the thread titled, "Controlling Algae in Pond" ... might help more than this.

Last edited by TheMom; 07-04-2001 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-06-2001, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Checked the pond again today. (July 6th) and the green water is gone. I put 13 more 4" goldfish in there and topped the pond off with water.

Plants are growing, I guess all is well.

Now there are 16 or 17 4" goldfish, 1 water lily, 6 water lettuce, 6 water hyacynth, 1 8 gallon lotus, 2 4" pickerel, and 2 water iris.

Pond looks good and customer is happy.

Can't ask for anything more.

Old 07-08-2001, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Indiana,

How about a photo?

Barbara
Old 07-10-2001, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

My pond was really green to , because it is in direct sunlight all day. I bought a UV light (ultraviolet light) which worked great for me. You hook it up to your pump and it kills the alge in the water as it is pumped through. My pond was clear in less than a day, first time i had seen the bottom in weeks! These things arent to cheap, they run from about $100 to $500.

Alan
Old 09-08-2001, 04:35 PM
t

green water

you can also by a product called algea blocker, its a liquid and you only have to use a little.makes your pond a pretty blue.bought mine at a pet store.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

At the risk of sounding like a paid lacky, your problem is that you didn't use the Aquascape sytem. I only say this because Water Features, or ponds, is becoming one of my primary incomes and since I started using the Aquascape system not one of my ponds in the past two years has turned green. The key is benificial bacteria and a biological filtration system.

As far as using a UV light, yeh this will work for a little while, but it is only a exspensive and temporary solution. The UV light will kill the alge, but it will also kill all of the good bacteria that help keep the water clear. To find out more go to [URL=http://www.aquascapedesigns.com]
Good luck and happy ponding.
Old 10-03-2001, 08:38 PM
t

you go boy:blob1:
Old 10-29-2001, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

McKeeland, at the risk of sounding like an impartial lacky....

Please explain to me how "beneficial bacteria" keep the water clear. For someone who is installing water features, I suggest you do some serious research.

Green water is caused by suspended algae spores. Bacteria does not remove algae spores. Algae spores are typically seen in new systems because there is little plant life to compete with it for the ammonium and nitrate.

The best way to rid yourself of the green water is to give the suspended algae spores some competition ie. adding alot more plants to both shade the pond and to compete with the algae for the ammonium and nitrates (food). U.V. light works too, but it's cheaper and more reliable to plant heavier.

No offense, but I recommend you get yourself a quality aquarium book which deals with plants and water quality. I believe that Aquascape designs is doing a great thing by promoting the water gardening hobby but you are doing the pond business a disservice by giving advice on things you yourself have no clue about. You shouldn't consider yourself an expert when you yourself have not taken the time to educate yourself. Just because you've installed a few ponds and taken a one day installation course does not make you an expert.

BTW if the u.v. sterilizer was installed after the pond has cycled through (after the nitrite levels have dropped to levels you can't read on your test), and after the mechanical filter, you will end up with a healthier pond. Why? Because U.V. light also kills parasites, and other bacteria such as Aeromonas, and larger viruses.

For those of you who have questions about water quality or fish care I suggest you get yourselves a good pond book because I have seen alot of misinformation coming from pond "experts".

Doug