Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-29-2006, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

anyone have a new stander?

Was thinking about getting a new stander type mower. The shorter length will give me more room on the trailer, but i don't know any one who has one.I just know if they will hold up or how good the cut is.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't have a new one but it's a 2003...I love my stander, you have more space on the trailer and they are great on hills much better than a ztr on a hill..
2004 Chevy C4500 W/12' Monroe Dump DURAMAX/ALLISON 105,000 Miles
2008 Royal Cargo 8.5'x18' Trailer

SCAG & ECHO POWER EQUIPMENT

"While your Strokin and Cummin.. I'll be takin your girl to the Max"
Old 12-29-2006, 04:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I went to Springfield last week and looked at one for my younger brother. He picked up a Stander Wednesday and stoped by here and we give it a run around. (no grass to mow) He bought a 36", 17hp, ajustable beck as well as a Plugr PL600. Two real nice machines.

The stander really impresed me. quick nimble, and well made mower. Right now there is a 18% discount, so the price he paid really shocked me as well. I need a better walkbehind, and upgrade my trailer this year. I dont have the budget for any new equipment right now. But I will have one hopfully befor the end of next year.

I give it 2 thumbs up.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How are the standers on the knees and lower back?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im not shure it would be much good for a guy with bad knees. But I have had back problems in the past including back surgery. And speaking from experence, at the time i would rather stand to mow any day.
Another benifet I feel would be the simpicity of geting on and off to pick up yard crap. one draw back i feel would be mowing around low hanging trees. This thing is so short you can not get in as close without driving under low hangers. And stand up on a step off the ground could pose a problem there.

There fun to drive, The guy at the deal said popin wheelies and jumping small curbs is kind of nice. I gues the dealer had a open house last year and set up a obstical corse in the parking lot. He had all the LC guys around there and they had blast, and he is selling the stander like crazy, He cant give away the older W/Bs.

I bet you could put 3 standers with room to spair on a triler thats full now with 2 ZTRs.

Last edited by dhardin53; 12-29-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryslawn View Post
Was thinking about getting a new stander type mower. The shorter length will give me more room on the trailer, but i don't know any one who has one.I just know if they will hold up or how good the cut is.

People that have them love them and they seem to hold up well. They do have a good resale value.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenN'Clean View Post
How are the standers on the knees and lower back?
The Sentar sport 36" has a seat so you can sit if you want! We have had problems with the initial mower pivot and they had to be upgraded. The hydro hoses are hitting too much stuff and wore holes in one of them. Not sure they have that under control. The hydro belt went in 300hrs and it is hard to replace you got to drop the clutch. But we like the machine a lot. It will not hold up like a Scag too many ungreased pivot points....including the spindles.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I asked the owner of this dealership if the spindles had zerk he said yes. And the hydro hose you are refering to looked to have a cloth webing/reinfoced cover.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardin53 View Post
I asked the owner of this dealership if the spindles had zerk he said yes. And the hydro hose you are refering to looked to have a cloth webing/reinfoced cover.
Maybe on some models but I doubt it unless it is new this year? My hoses had some type of covering on them but it went through. You can NOT have these tubes hitting stuff that can be vibrating. Mine rubbed into the hydro filter. Also had holes rubbed through the cowling on the engine on both sides, they have a problem on Sentar! My dealer had some heavy duty lines custom built for us...many thanks to dealer.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have been using Standers for many years now. Have 6 Wright Standers, 4 Wright Velke's, and 2 Wright Sentars. The Standers are just great. I would run nothing but Standers If I could. The Distributor brough a trailer load of new Standers to our place a coupla months ago, and those new "sport" models blew me away.

My only problem with Standers, is support. It's been a problem. We have some great dealers here...but none of them handle the Stander. The dealers that do handle them, suck. Luckily our mechanic has worked on them a lot, and handles most of the repairs. Still, dealer support is a serious issue with this mower, at least here.

Even with the few quirks that seem to be inherent with the Standers, I love em.

Last edited by SouthernFried; 12-31-2006 at 01:33 AM.