Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2007, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is something very very wrong with me!

I finished up mowing about 4 weeks ago and Im already anticipating next season. I have always run this business part time but with insurance and good equipment and taxes. I figured I would do it part time till I "made it" in a corporate setting (which I have never done), I have never come close to the per hour earnings I make mowing, in any other job I have ever held. I realized today I am a LIFER!! They will probably bury me on that Scag mower. By then I will probaly be frozen to it. I could be happy mowing the rest of my life but I think I will have a lot of trouble meeting a wife on that mower. That really is the only worry I have about this line of work.
6 x 12 open trailer
Toro 48" w/b
Exmark 36" w/b
Snapper 36" w/b
Toro 21" SP mower.
Echo blowers and trimmers
Old 01-02-2007, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No Problems!!! My wife is part owner of our company and you should see her on wb w/velkie or z. She doesn't do it often, but she would be ranked right up there as one of the top cutters that we have had.

Besides, what woman wouldn't fall head over heals for a guy that smells like decomposing grass (lol)!
Old 01-02-2007, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

One thing you will learn about women; they like money, if you make a lot and can clean up fairly nicely in the shower, you should be set.

In the off season I find myself checking out lawns while I'm driving and thinking "Oh yaah, I could mow that baby- 10 minutes flat. It would look so much better at a 45 deg angle, maybe I'll just go to the door and give them a bid." My wife will be talking, then she realizes I'm not listening when I interrupt her to ask, "You think a Z could hold that hill?"

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 01-02-2007, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Honestly, I've never had a problem getting girls. Just becasue I cut grass dose not mean i cant get women. haha, They do like money and if you carry yourself in a professional way about what you do for a living there should be no worries.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbomb View Post
...but I think I will have a lot of trouble meeting a wife on that mower. That really is the only worry I have about this line of work.
You'll just meet a better breed of woman on that Scag. You dont really want some show pony from the corporate world. You want a wife who'll run that Scag with you. That's the kind of woman I have....and I wouldnt trade her for a room full of supermodels!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Girls like flower gardens and all that pretty stuff so why wouldn't they like a guy who's a landscaper? If he can make a good wage and cleanup when he gets home then they'll be interested. How about plumbers, garbage men, miners and all the others who do dirty work, they have wives. Did you notice that there are a few woman on here that are landscapers.
F450 XLT Dump
Fisher Xtreme Vees
22' Enclosed Trailer
16' Open Trailer
14' Dump Trailer
10' Open Trailer
Redmax 2stroke Equipment
Walker, Wright Stander, Lesco
Little Wonder, Stihl, ect. ect.....
Old 01-11-2007, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnprosteveo View Post
You'll just meet a better breed of woman on that Scag. You dont really want some show pony from the corporate world. You want a wife who'll run that Scag with you!!

AAAAMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2007, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need to move south... there is no off season. 40-52 cutting per year. I am installing 72 bnbs this week and next... then 100 pallets of sod.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a few minor problems with some of my customers.....They see this good looking man swinging around on that SCAG, all sweaty, greases, smelling like a bag of fresh cut grass, and did I say good looking....and I have had customer, single and married hit on me...but I love $$$$$$$, and thats nothing but trouble.....plus, I am married and my wife is a HUGE part of what I have establish, but will not be caught dead, tied up to the mower... lol...but she will go out and run estimate, and if the homeowner is cute, she will put them on my 2nd trucks route list...which i think is cute....lol......I had to take the lettering off my f-150 because I was averaging 2 to 3 calls a week asking me out on dates.....and half the time, my wife was in the office answering the phone.....lol....so you can imagine that scene....lol.....But I am so ready to get started again....Crazy though, because just about 2 weeks ago, I was so ready for it all to be over....lol...go figure....But I am excited because this is my year.....I am going to bust the door wide open, and we aint taking no prisoners....so get you weight up .....or watch out... ...because I am a com'n ah blazin....lol....man I am excited....
Old 01-11-2007, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Dont pick her up with the mower for your first date. Being self-employed goes a long way in this day and age with the corporate culture and all the bullshit that goes with it. You will realize this after you date a couple of professional ladies and hear them tell you how much they envy you for striving out on your own. Dont sell youself short.