Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2007, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I sold my lawn business--they said i couldnt

Well, I got hit by a car while using a blower. I worked for 2 more months. Then I decided to sell my business and take a break. I wanted to heal my back (let God heal my back).

I put it in the newspaper and sold it in 2 days.

Many many members here told me that lawn business cannot be sold. I am glad I think for myself and did not believe those misinformed people.

Point is you can sell you business , people do all the time. I sold my by owner, but business brokers help people sell business to make their living.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Funny, I got in to the LS biz because my neck was hurt.

I don't do the work.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I might be getting back in , but i wont be doing the work. I will be making a business instead of being a self employed or owner operator.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry PLC, but it appears as though you may have jumped the gun. The simple fact that you sold your biz and came back here to say you sold it and in one post stated you might get back into it would suggest that you didn't want out.

If your plans are/were to, as you put it, run a biz and not be an owner/operator sounds a little, well, "How to run a lawn biz in 21 daysish".

Why did you not keep the current biz going and hire out to do the work? IMHO, I would never sell off my biz if I had the slightest inclination that I might "return" to it.

All the best and hopefully God heals you quickly.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hope you get well soon!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

So you sold it to prove a few guys on a discussion forum wrong? What?
Now you want to start all over again? I'm easily confused but ahhhhhhh what???

Man I'm truly sorry to hear about getting hit by the car. I've come way to close to biting it over the hood of a car while on mower and on foot. Let that be another lesson to me.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good fore you

Fore the most part ..... arguments against ability to "sell a business" is quite frankly ....most don't OWN a business nor Run one

DON'T get me wrong but the most part .... a solo ....has a route .... a group of customers whom they may have been serving fore YEARS.... have a great run with em ..make VERY Good $$ n such ....great but over the years n in the long run ....that's all the still really have

Those running a business ....have it set up as such ....so be it with employees, uniforms, lettered vehicles, mailed invoicing, payments made to the Inc. or LLC ...(that's a different story as selling an LLC it has to be re-stuctured .... while an Inc is just a stock exchange)

My original foundation was to build a business .... have a good run at it ...build something up which is tangle to others ....as an asset ... I've removed myself from the daily dealing with the direct labor ...BUT still have personal contact with my customers

Have trained those working fore the Inc as well as the foreman to have personal contact with the customers .... when I sell ....the individual whom buys (more than likely my foreman) will be set up fore success as long as they continue ....good reliable service, correct issues if needed, be consistent n things of this nature

Again don't get me wrong ... I started as a Solo ...it's was good $$ ... perhaps better than now ...BUT ...I'm not tired & worn out ... I have other $$ interests ... can take vacation time in August ... If I got hurt in the past ...I was FUBAR

Was this greater or less than $100K if I may ask ?? Also would it not have been possible to hold out till we go back to weekly cutting n enjoy that full monthly $$ with only 1/2 the cost

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com
Old 01-03-2007, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What did you get for it? If you dont want to give a price, what % of yearly gross, and did you include equipment/trucks?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you sold it in two days, just my opion you weren't asking enough......or got really lucky.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I dont know why some people said you couldnt sell your business, its yours! We bought out a guy this past season and I guess you could say it sold in a few days as well. I will never, ever!!!!!!!!! pay for a "customer list" again unless they sign with me and talk to me alone! The guy we bought out said he talked to all of his customers and they were willing to sign with us but I was so busy I didnt get a chance until late winter to talk to them about us and by that time it was too late. I blame myself but a customer list is worthless if they look elsewhere. We did however land about 75% of the customers, but there were some big, high dollar estates we didnt get.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net