Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-16-2000, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

If you can buy a good 21" craftsman mower from sears with 6 hp bagger,mulcher and side discharge for $200 and it has a 2 year warranty why would you want to buy a $900 21" mower from toro with a one year warranty? It makes more sense to buy a new $200 every 2 years doesnt it?
Old 03-16-2000, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

sounds good to me, but i don't know how they would hold up mowing 8 to 10 hours a day for 4 or 5 months
Old 03-16-2000, 09:38 PM

Along time ago I bought a sears push mower, blower, and chainsaw. I mean along time ago before I know any better. The mowers carburator started leaking fuel. The blower internally vibrated apart. The chainsaw was crap and clutch burned up and the chain fell off all the time. Sure they give a warranty. And they will try to fix it over and over and over and over. And if yours is like mine u will rarely get to use it for very long before you have to send it back for their wonderful warranty.
Old 03-16-2000, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sears warranty is for homeowner. Quality is like night and day.
Old 03-16-2000, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

they don't hold up for nothing when you mow 8 to 10 yards a week, they are made for your own home. but if thats what you like good luck.
Old 03-16-2000, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah i know it would kill over in a heartbeat if you were using it full time but i am talking about just using it just for those few gates i cant fit through with my exmark. or those hills that are to steep. I dont think it would get more than 30-50 min of use a day
Old 03-16-2000, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I have one of those 21 inch toros (electric start, self propelled, rear bagger) from 1978 twenty two years ago. It still runs, mows lawns and the parts are in stock at the dealer.
Old 03-16-2000, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

comfort is the first thing that comes to mind<br>If your only going to hold on to the thing for 30-50 minutes,okay. But if you have to run it any longer the quality of a top line<br>21 inch will show through. I use a Honda Harmony HRM,very low vibration,easy starting<br>and a blade brake clutch.<br> <br><p>----------<br>Valhalla lawn and pool<br>
Old 03-17-2000, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Chances are good you will find the mower in the Sears repair shop more than you find it in the backyard. Sears makes mowers for homeowners. Can you deal with not having it for 2 weeks at a time? 2 weeks is probably the mean time in the shop per repair. It's up to you but I would go with commercial equipment. If you go shopping at Sears, I would be looking at tools, not mowers.
Old 03-17-2000, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey now, don't make fun of sears. I work at a Sears near Chicago. And we offer quality at a great price. We have the best warrenties on the market. For the push mowers, you can purchase a maintainance agreement which covers a tune up each year and unlimited service calls for any other problems. And the best part is, the plans start out at $90 for three years, the same price ONE tune up is going for now. And if you choose to get the ---repair aggreement on tractors---- (an extra 250-300$$) anything that goes wrong for 3 years will be replaced free of charge at your house. How about saving money on those electronic clutches, flat tires and pulleys that are bound to break. Also if you run over a tree stump and ruin your deck, it will be replaced, for no charge. So why not start buying craftsman and use it commercially. Then again why wouldn't you want to own the best machines on earth.