Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-17-2000, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

The only Sears mower I have ever dealt with was a 21" self propelled mower that felt like you was pushing an exmark even when the self propelled wasn't broken which wasn't very often. Also, I doubt that it would last very long on the side of a hill unless the new ones have a pressurized oil systems.
Old 03-17-2000, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

give me a call, mike at 630 820 6000. if i am not in, ask for kevin, jason or mike. They have experience with toros and realize that craftsman is the best. The 21" exmarks (toro), john deeres, craftsman, and mtd (junk), all have the same engine.
Old 03-17-2000, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There is no such thing as a " good Sears craftsman mower". ( I call them craps-man). Do you think Sears is going to give you special service just because you use the mower for commercial applications? Heres what will happen; drop one month mower off at service center for repair, pick it up 3-4 weeks later, take back to service center 1 week later with same problem. It's better to buy a name brand mower-Deere-Honda-Toro, and have the piece of mind that it will perform when you need it to.
Old 03-17-2000, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I was have used both types in the last year. A toro and a craftsman. Both were self-propelled unit. The crafstman was by far slower and did not bag nearly as well. If you have damp turf your lucky to get the bag 1/2 full. The toro is better, not full bags but better. <br> As far as your warrenty goes(the above post) if I pay my extra 250$ for your extended warrenty how many week will you have my mower? I'm in B.C. Canada and have a old mowing client who I still do landscaping for whose 21&quot; mower was blowing blue after one month. He waited three weeks for his unit to be returned. How would this help me as a contractor?<br> For the homeowner or very part timer pherhaps Sears(Home depot etc.) may work but you will be buying replacing these machines as soon as you begin to grow. I'm Landscaping 2 days per week and was able to get 1.5 yrs from craftsman type equipment. Save yourself the headaches and do it right the first time.<br> On another I to still use a Weedeater feather light weedeater. They are cheap light and easy to repair. I do not use them for heavy brushing but for and type of edging and trimming they are great. I do not see the advantage of a large weedeater for the smaller duties but that's me...<br> Lance<br>
Old 03-17-2000, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is embarrassing:<p>We have $80,000 worth of mowing equipment in our fleet.<p>Our 21&quot; mowers = Sears.<br>
Old 03-17-2000, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Snapper Super Six self propelled and short of having to clean the carb. 2 x per year cause I won't change the filter, it's been a good machine. It will cut as fast as you want it to. It has a six speed manual tranny, 6hp, rear wheel drive. I roasted the rubber off of it one day!!!!!! Too much power for a beginner. Ya, I'd stick to the Craftsman if your just starting out, them Snappers are meeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaannnn!<p>Homer<p>P.S. It aint even a commercial unit, had it goin' on 4 yars now.<br>
Old 03-17-2000, 09:22 AM

When I said the carb leaked. At the time i wasn't even using it. It was parked for the winter. The mechanic who repaired it said that if you let some sears more sit for awhile the float a majig in the carb will deteriate and it will leak or pur gas out like mine did. I just had a couple of yards with fences. The cost me 40$ repair. What good is a warranty if you put hte machine in the shop with sears and they keep it to weeks and then you get it back and within a couple of days the same thing is wrong with it. I had that happen like the above post said. I sold all that stuff as junk even while the maintenance agreement was in place. This is when I first started. That is suppose to be what this forum is about. Learning from other contractors mistakes and experiences. Good or bad.
Old 03-17-2000, 09:37 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Go to your Toro dealers and see if they have<br>any used 21&quot; commercials. I bought a very low hour unit for $250 that just had a new trans installed (the customer never picked it up).<p>I also let get thru my hands a few years ago<br>a top of the line 21&quot; homeowners model toro<br>with blade brake and a suzuki engine for $150.That also was at a dealer.
Old 03-17-2000, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Craftsman is made by MTD nowadays, so it's all the same anyways. I bought a &quot;last yrs. model for half price&quot; Yard man top-o-the-line with 6 spd. & 6 hp motor, & it lasted me about 2 1/2 yrs. on a part time basis. You gotta remember we live in a throwaway society & most everything is built like that.<br>The avg. homeowner uses a pushmower 20-30 times a yr. 2-3 yrs. is about all you get out of today's pushmowers. With us, we'd put 1 years' worth of mowing on it in 1-2 weeks!<br>And you wonder why they don't hold up? You must also consider that many stores won't honor the warranty if they think/find out you use it for commercial purposes. The mtd's just aren't made for that. As you take it in to get fixed, sears will put you at the end of the line like everyone else, & an engine rebuild usually costs more than a new mower! A mower shop will get you back on the lawns much quicker than sears who could care less about your $200 investment. They have nothing to gain by helping anyone out. The mower shop depends on commercial guys for bus., & wants repeat bus. from them, so they are a priority. Service after the sale is more important than the purchase in this trade. &quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten&quot;.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<p>
Old 03-17-2000, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What I do is buy new every year and then sell them the following spring. I do this with ALL equipment that is less than $1,000.<p>I've found this gives the lowest operating costs, least downtime, and best employee moral.