Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-04-2007, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Welcome Back Letter

I've come to realize that the best way to get customers back from the previous season is to write a letter.

Would someone please provide me with samples of Welcome back letter's this way I can upgrade my current letter.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan Calderon
Bryan's Lawn Maintenance, Inc.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this might go better under the "just starting" section

if your letter works so well why change it? u kno the saying..if it aint broke dont fix it

CLEAR-CUT Lawn & Landscape
Old 01-14-2007, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this was last years letter, i also sent a checklist type that follows, so they can check off what they like and send it back, it eliminates phone cold calling while trying to set up my new cut list.

March 6, 2006

Hi Everyone!

Its spring again! After a long, mostly snowless winter, I can’t wait to get back into the swing of things. Just thought I’d let everyone know I plan on involving my brother Jon with a lot of the landscape operations to help me out whenever I need it. As most of you know I was in a rather bad accident back in the beginning of September and broke my back, shoulder blade & sternum (the place where your ribs connect in the middle of your chest). Needless to say it’s a little hard for me to lift and do the things I used to but with the help of those around me, I plan on regaining the strength I had before the accident.
I plan on starting the cutting the 2nd or 3rd week of April, weather depending, so if anyone would like to think about a mulch estimate or just plain having the work done, NOW is the time to give me a call or check the box below and I’ll set up a time with you to meet & write up something. Lastly, (the bad part) some of my lawns were severely underpriced at the end of last year……as gas prices went up I found it hard to pay attention to some lawns the way I did in spring…..I’ve had to re-evaluate some lawns just so I can keep up with these rising gas and diesel prices, I do apologize if this affects you, hopefully its within a few dollars of your original pricing, I assure you this is only to compensate for fuel and not to put more money in my pocket. Please mark off the appropriate boxes and mail the attached sheet back to me ASAP or simply call me to save some postage and leave the message with myself or my grandmother at the office .

Sincerely,

Name:______________________________________________

OLD LAWN PRICE:___________________

NEW LAWN PRICE:___________________

ٱYES, Please Get Back to Me ASAP With an Estimate For Mulch & of Course
You’re Cutting My Lawn This Year!

ٱNO, I don’t need a mulch price now, maybe later. I’ll just see you when the
grass needs to be cut.

Or..

ٱI Don’t Think I’ll Be Needing any Services this Year, Please Remove Me from
The List.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is my New Season Follow-up Letter....O'Yeah, had to hide the address, dont wont anybody trying to throw lowballs at my customer....LOL.....
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2007, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERSTREAK INC View Post
this was last years letter, i also sent a checklist type that follows, so they can check off what they like and send it back, it eliminates phone cold calling while trying to set up my new cut list.

March 6, 2006

Hi Everyone!

Its spring again! After a long, mostly snowless winter, I canít wait to get back into the swing of things. Just thought Iíd let everyone know I plan on involving my brother Jon with a lot of the landscape operations to help me out whenever I need it. As most of you know I was in a rather bad accident back in the beginning of September and broke my back, shoulder blade & sternum (the place where your ribs connect in the middle of your chest). Needless to say itís a little hard for me to lift and do the things I used to but with the help of those around me, I plan on regaining the strength I had before the accident.
I plan on starting the cutting the 2nd or 3rd week of April, weather depending, so if anyone would like to think about a mulch estimate or just plain having the work done, NOW is the time to give me a call or check the box below and Iíll set up a time with you to meet & write up something. Lastly, (the bad part) some of my lawns were severely underpriced at the end of last yearÖÖas gas prices went up I found it hard to pay attention to some lawns the way I did in springÖ..Iíve had to re-evaluate some lawns just so I can keep up with these rising gas and diesel prices, I do apologize if this affects you, hopefully its within a few dollars of your original pricing, I assure you this is only to compensate for fuel and not to put more money in my pocket. Please mark off the appropriate boxes and mail the attached sheet back to me ASAP or simply call me to save some postage and leave the message with myself or my grandmother at the office .

Sincerely,

Name:______________________________________________

OLD LAWN PRICE:___________________

NEW LAWN PRICE:___________________

ٱYES, Please Get Back to Me ASAP With an Estimate For Mulch & of Course
Youíre Cutting My Lawn This Year!

ٱNO, I donít need a mulch price now, maybe later. Iíll just see you when the
grass needs to be cut.

Or..

ٱI Donít Think Iíll Be Needing any Services this Year, Please Remove Me from
The List.
No...you did not really send this out did you????
Old 01-15-2007, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Next year on your invoices put this... "As a convenience to you, our service continues from season to season. If you would like to change your service or cancel please call us."

All the "big" guys have been doing this for years. I would send your customers a letter confirming their services and on that telling them if they want to cancel call YOU. You might get burnt on 1 or 2 jobs but don't make it too easy for someone to cancel

Your cell phone company doesn't call you when your contract is up do they?

M 2 cents, like it or hate it I guess?
Old 01-15-2007, 03:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used to do that, too.
Not with a letter, but I'd call each and every one and lalala

Then I started reading around here, and after a year or so I had to agree:
It's easier to assume service resumption, and unless a customer specifically cancels, it keeps going just like the electricity and cable and every other service business in the world.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good Call Topsites

I send a welcome letter, but I state in my welcome letter that I will start cutting again during the first week of April. I do not put any thing in my letter giving them the option to cancel. I also send a letter announcing when the last cut will be at the end of the season with the phrase "we look forward to seeing you in the spring. We also send a Christmas card. While my Christmas cards are a genuine "Thank You" to them for doing business with us, it also lets them know that they are still our customer.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should never give the customer options....lol....I usually tell them what needs to be done.....I mean I am a professional at what I do, and if I tell them that something needs to be done, then they realize that it needs to be done....I usually write in a side note on their invoice that we will out to do what ever service we think needs to be done....Never asking them if its okay.....I deal with High-end customers, so they dont mind, they just dont wont to have to deal with the lawn themselves....You see in my letter, I dont say anything about opting out.....
Old 01-15-2007, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i did send that out to all 65 of my customers 2 years ago, last year just assumed they were resigning, 4 diddnt and ended up fighting because i did the first cut or 2, then after sent the bill (only one cut in april) they said they changed services and shopuldnt need to pay (somehow they leave "magic" messages so they say that never make it to my machine), somehow the other company was cutting after me and still charging too apparently....anyhow it got me a bunch of customers to send back requests for mulch, which many diddnt even know i did. i keep most of my customers really close, if i were bigger or diddnt have the relationship i do with them now, id never dream of writing such stuff. Lots of my customers were confused when they saw other people on their lawns in october finishingf up cuts after i rolled my superduty. Just gave them explanations.
Attached Images