Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-04-2007, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowmowwow View Post
and my v6 longbed pulls my stuff great..i get there... a truck that big would be nice but if i could afford it...
I would have bought a 2000 F150 with a V6 last spring. Business has grown, and I have gotten into plowing. A future goal after I get my required amount of clients is to be set up to plow next winter for me and not this other LCO like I am now. I am hurting!!! (not a snow flake since mid Dec., that sucks when you get paid by the hour).
Old 01-04-2007, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowmowwow View Post
and my v6 longbed pulls my stuff great..i get there... a truck that big would be nice but if i could afford it...
I would have bought a 2000 F150 2wd with a V6 last spring. Business has grown, and I have gotten into plowing. A future goal after I get my required amount of clients is to be set up to plow next winter for me and not this other LCO like I am now. I am hurting!!! (not a snow flake since mid Dec., that sucks when you get paid by the hour).
Old 01-04-2007, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry about the double post, the second one has the edition of 2wd by F150.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpocket View Post
It's called runnning "LEAN & MEAN" you maximize your profits this way

Those trucks don't cost me a dime most months, except for fuel & Insurance. ONE of the payments on that F-350 is less than what I spend on maintenance for the WHOLE YEAR.
I understand running lean and mean. I've done it for the last 2 years. If I find a truck that will allow me to do this (meaning reliable enough) for a few years I will jump. The new truck is just the safest route I can go.

The second line is a valid point I did not see. My vision was clouded by the memory of putting a brand new transmission in my previous vehicle and having engine problems 4000 miles after, consistent stalling, and then a body mount breaks, and then the fuel pump sensor shuts off every now and then and you have a panic attack because your truck worn't start, and then your radio gets a short in the speaker line, and then you get a water leak in the cab, and then you take the fender off to look for the leak and you break the 2 bolts holding it in... so on and so on. The truck you guys want me to get isn't worth it for me. If your saying get a $15,000-$17,000 used truck why not spend $4000 more and get a new bare bones work truck with a warranty. Thats, I'm guessing, $80 more a month yet, you got a 60,000 mile warranty (or GM 100,000 mile). That way I don't have other people's crap running up a bill thats more than the truck its self.
And I have worked for a LCO with chevys from the '80s. They worked, finding one that doesn't have the poo beaten out of it around here? Impossible. You can see me reading a new issue of truck trader, and Big truck trader weekly looking for that special Ford or chevy.

Also, I don't mean to sound like I'm jumping down people's throats for their every post. This is actually really helping me by opening up a lot of things I haven't taken into consideration. Thanks,
Old 01-04-2007, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajwrigh View Post
Your best bet is to pay for as much as possible in cash...you would kill yourself trying to make all of those payments and also trying to turn a profit..
This gets harder and harder to do when you don't make one cent for a month.
This has prompted me to desire a year round billing schedule, maybe not this year, but eventually.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Starting out, a Brand New $30,000 truck would be nice but crazy.....Not to say buying a truck is not a good idea. Like other post have said, a nice looking used truck would be great, just make sure its reliable.....a trailer.....doesnt have to be a 40 footer....a nice 5 or 6 X 10 works perfect for a start up.....How much start up cash is on hand.....its always a great idea to keep up with the total liabilities and equity.....there are so many LCO that dont have any equity because they over spent in the first few years.....Buying New trucks and tons of new equipment when starting up and not seeing a real profit is not a way to go....I say start small, and grow steady, but smart.....Acquire other tools needed as your skills and clientele need grows....If you need to see what buying too much equipment starting out will lead you, go to the equipment for sell section and look at how many people are selling everything because things didnt work out or growth of their area didnt support buying all that nice pretty new stuff.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not purchasing till I know I can make the payments. Thats not the issue. Tell me what you think of my numbers, I plan to get 40-50 clients, the loan used to advertise to get them is included in my plan above. Tell me is there any more costs or if you would change my numbers at all?
Old 01-05-2007, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How did you get the 600/mo payment for the F-250? I've got the same truck, reg cab lonbox, 5.4, 4x4, I pay 433/month and I didn't put a penny down. I guess I did get 0% interest but it shouldn't be THAT big a difference...

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 01-05-2007, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobagger View Post
Yeah start off with even a newer used truck, Our 06 F250 SD is running us 525.00/mo and a diesel wasnt much more than our truck. Plus if you do get a diesel, the fuel wont cost you half that figure per month, our 5.4L gasser only uses a tank (38gallon) every 3-4 weeks pulling our trailer loaded down. Our F250 pulls our 8.5x16 enclosed trailer loaded down like theres hardly anything behind it, diesels IMO are over-rated especially for around town, stop and go traffic.
You must not be driving much if you're filling up every 3-4 weeks.

My truck is identical to yours, and I fill it once a week, driving 320-360 miles per week in the OFFSEASON. And I'm hauling an open trailer which weighs less than your enclosed.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 01-05-2007, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoboy01 View Post
How did you get the 600/mo payment for the F-250? I've got the same truck, reg cab lonbox, 5.4, 4x4, I pay 433/month and I didn't put a penny down. I guess I did get 0% interest but it shouldn't be THAT big a difference...
Your truck is the truck I want. XLT regular cab, 4x4, 5.4L gas, auto,... As I was building the thing online the number got to $550 and that was with $3000 down and 1.9% apr. Let me build it again. Then again i am getting z plan so it will probably be lower than what they quote my by 50 or so.