Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-07-2007, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsquickcuts View Post
Please dont keep your hopes up on those numbers....Because you forgot about so many other things that will eat into that $4800 a month in your business account. What are you true cost of goods??? Whats your Total General and Administrative Expenses??? I am not saying you cant do 10k a month, but it takes a lot of planning....I have about 15k to 18k in total expense monthly.....That covers everything....cost of good, payroll x 6, repair and maintenance, loans, Mortgage on office and yard, advertising, etc.....My business Nets about 8k to 10k monthly, depending on how many install we are able to do....My Salary is $2500 monthly, and if anything else needs to be purchased either for my home or business, I just purchased it through My business so that I can write it off at the end of the year.....My first year, What I had on paper looked so good, but I was no where near what I was expecting to net.....Good luck on 2007!
So true, I'm not relying on making that. Thats just what I need to be comefortable. A little less and I can make it by, a little more and I'm
Old 01-07-2007, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willofalltrades View Post
I'm going to go over these costs tonight. I think I can eliminate the need for a Wright Stander by getting a simple 52" deck for my Walker.
I'm unsure of the truck issue. I think it will all depend on financing rates when I go to buy. If they are unreal, I'll venture to the used department. If they are nice I will go new. Why buy a $16000 truck when I can get a new one with a warranty not far from that. The z plan is god sent. I am still hunting for a deal in the used department though. I started a thread in the truck forum about a F250 for $4800. If I catch a good Deal on used I would jump. Let me go over this again and I will include insurance, advertising, 2-stroke hand helds, and everything else.
I'm still reading this thread but since you are in north east ohio will you be plowing? minimum 3/4 ton with 4x4 if you are.

edit: oops, I see you already have this in mind in the next few years. on a related note. You don't need to plow, I have 47 residential drive ways, $80/month and all done with snow blowers and shovels. 7 years been doing this and I get paid whether it snows or not.

Last edited by Vikings; 01-07-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikings View Post
You don't need to plow, I have 47 residential drive ways, $80/month and all done with snow blowers and shovels. 7 years been doing this and I get paid whether it snows or not.
Interesting... I guess If you get the right kind of drives this would be the best method (I'm using a Bobcat with a 9' tripedge Boss blade on your kind of drives in this local development)
Old 01-08-2007, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willofalltrades View Post
Your truck is the truck I want. XLT regular cab, 4x4, 5.4L gas, auto,... As I was building the thing online the number got to $550 and that was with $3000 down and 1.9% apr. Let me build it again. Then again i am getting z plan so it will probably be lower than what they quote my by 50 or so.
you know if u were to get an xl with the convinence package you still get the power windows and the nice features and its cheaper than the xlt and just as nice. and a better work truck all around! just my thought!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Time to set the plan into motion. I'm meeting with Huntington bank's business associate to go over the financial aspect of my business. I'll be up late tonight and tomorrow night prepairing my business plan.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wanted to chime in here to the original poster. I'm just starting my lawn business and here are my expenses:
Truck - $2200 for 92 Chevy 2500
Trailer - $4000 for 20' enclosed
Woods 48" ZTR - $2000
Better Quick 36 - $1200
Misc. other tools - $1000 worth

Total = $10k for one year. This comes out to about $1200/month for EVERYTHING! It is all USED equipment that I am comfortable wrenching on myself.
BTW you could get away with about a $2k trailer for new. I use mine to haul a race car so I am unnecessarily getting a huge trailer.

You can save a ton of money if you work on your own equipment. It's not that hard.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

That would be your starting expenses NOT your operating expenses which might include some of these items:

GL Insurance
Pesticide Insurance
Auto Insurance
WC Insurance
Inland Marine Insurance
Internet, Phone, Fax Expenses
State Annual Report Filing, Licensing, Etc.
Truck/Trailer DMV Registration
Buidling/Office Rent/Lease
Office Supplies
Postage
Advertising
Payroll
Taxes
Professional Fees
Ownership Withdrawal
Equipment Maintenance, Parts, Repairs
Capital Spending
Trailer Maintenance, Parts, Repairs
Old 01-09-2007, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1234 View Post
That would be your starting expenses NOT your operating expenses which might include some of these items:

Phone
State Annual Report Filing, Licensing, Etc.
Truck/Trailer DMV Registration
Office Supplies
Postage
I included everything except these few.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 12X7 atv trailer(nice because it has a side gate) and i pull it with a ford ranger EDGE. I have no problem with it. The transmission has been acting a little funny but it's under warranty so it doesn't matter. I would go with a nice sized f150 so i had the payload factor. Good Luck.

adam
Old 01-09-2007, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Lawn and Garden View Post
I run a 12X7 atv trailer(nice because it has a side gate) and i pull it with a ford ranger EDGE. I have no problem with it. The transmission has been acting a little funny but it's under warranty so it doesn't matter. I would go with a nice sized f150 so i had the payload factor. Good Luck.

adam
Thanks adam but I need a 3/4 ton truck.