Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-05-2007, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Landscape Design Software

I am a graduate with a Landscape Architectural Design Degree and I use a software program called Earthscapes. I like the software but dose anyone have a good recommendation for a program that is quick. I want it for some residentials that just want a basic design done that I can do at their house.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kirk, where are you Kirk?

I use pro landscape. you can do simple you can do very complex. There have been quite a few threads about design software lately. You may want to do a search to see what everyone had to say.

How come you don't want to use what you already have?

Good luck with what ever you chose.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are using Earthscapes by Visual Impact Imaging, you have one of the premier "design" software packages available. Were you looking for something that is able to do 3D imaging quicker or a program that will allow you to create CAD like drawings simply?

I have found Pro Landscape, by Drafix, to be the easiest and most useful of the typical design software programs, but it is very similar to Earthscapes, albeit better and easier to use IMHO.

You may want to look into some of the homeowner type programs, but you will not get the quality, variety or professional results you will achieve with the professionally oriented software.

Kirk
Old 01-06-2007, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Realtime landscaping Pro is a nice design program at a good price.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Where do you get a "Landscape Architectural Design Degree"?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

My degree is from Oklahoma State University
Old 01-08-2007, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

... and they call it a "Landscape Architectural Design Degree"?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using PRO Landscape for a year now. I wanted to see if anyone else was using this program and if they'd care to share some pics. I'm stuck at a certain level with this program and I'm trying to find maybe new techniques or sources for plant and paver files. I sometimes combine PRO Landscape with EP Henry imaging which is a hardscape specific program. I know you can add pics to the program, but who has time? Any ideas?
Click here for pics!
"Well, I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of, but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know."-Socrates
Old 01-09-2007, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

John, I had also used Pro Landscape with EP Henry software, then I went to a Pro Landscape training seminar. The seminar was key to unveiling a great deal of the program I was not using. It's two intense days of instruction and practice, but well worth the time and money.

For plants or any material,you can take any pic, cut it out and import it into Pro Landscape just as their photo files are available. I don't try to get to precise with the image, as it is only a representation of the work to be installed, and I don't want the client to get any unreasonable expectations. As each new release becomes available, many images are being added and the software seems to becoming easier to use.

Kirk
Old 01-10-2007, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, I just received the newest version of PRO Landscape this week. I see a lot more pics. I was taking pics of our jobs to import "accurate" portrayals of pavers. EP Henry's program is ok, but to me is low-tech. The color of the pavers is so off. And much time adjusting colors in the options still proves to be cartoon-like. I've been making new files from pics as mentioned, but depending on the lighting and shadows on the patio or walkway depends on how nice it turns out. I've definately improved my photography skills from PRO Landscape that's for sure.
"Well, I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of, but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know."-Socrates