Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-05-2007, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Encore Equipment

Small Dealer in Central Md. Here.

Any of you guys run Encore Equipment? Specifically the walk-behinds, Prowler ZTR & the Extreme ZTR. I have been approached by the distributer for my area about picking up the line. Have not acutally seen any of there units yet though. Am looking for any and all feedback both positive and negative. I would like to make a somewhat informed desicion.
Thanks guys your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have one. 61"ztr prowler. It has seen 900 flawless hours so far. The cut is decent. Besides the maintence...there has been no money stuck into the unit. I myself have only put on about 50 hours on the unit. That being said I am sure my employees are not gentile on the mower. The only complaint is the mower is so darn heavy. It does not go out on rainy days for the fear of leaving ruts.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Encore Mowers

What year is your Prowler? Do you think it is well built? Would you buy another one? Do you have any other makes, and if so how does the Encore compare to them? Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i used to work for a co that had about 7 of them they are decent mowers but this was 5 years ago. the pros they leave a nice cut , walkbehinds are fairly light compared to others. the cons they are way under powered or used to be . blade tip speed alittle slow and the gear selector used to move on their own after some decent use was put on them . to be honest with ya i look at them as a homeowner mower. they really cant handle all the abuse of a commercial co.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnemo View Post
What year is your Prowler? Do you think it is well built? Would you buy another one? Do you have any other makes, and if so how does the Encore compare to them? Thanks for your reply.
It is a 2003. I think it is very well built. I really like the shaft drive and the articulating front end. It cuts nice when the landscape isn't. I would buy another one with a different dealer. I also have 2 toros. One 62" and a 48". and a 60" dixie chopper. As far as comparing them. They all have there benifits and down falls. The dixie is very easy to work on and I like the velvet touch controls. I also spend most of my time on the dixie.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Encore Mowers

Has nobody else had any experience with these mowers? I was told Encore has been manufacturing mowers for at least 18 years. Please respond if you have any feedback.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search on here! I have used there walks for years very good unit. I also use the diesel prowler mowers for parks and schools systems that we mow and have nothing bad to say about them.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnemo View Post
Has nobody else had any experience with these mowers? I was told Encore has been manufacturing mowers for at least 18 years. Please respond if you have any feedback.
Encore is just not a very 'popular' brand is all.
I just don't think they ever won over the respect of the industry as a whole.

Never have been popular, and with the way things are set up with them, I question rather they ever will be.

I think their equipment is fine. Myself, I like their Prowler mid-cut the best because it is brawny and unique (but it is heavy). Second, I like the newer Extreme's. The walkbehinds seem average.

But anyways, what I am getting at is that Encore just seems 'kinda weird' for lack of a better explaination. Their website sucks. Their dealer network is really sparse. Their distribution seems sorta weird too. They seem to use like odd distributors. Ones that distribute OPE, but no other brands of mowers. For instance, I think they use the Shindaiwa distributor in this area. Sort of a strange business and not one with any sort of 'presence' in this area.

"Doesn't inspire consumer confidence for some reason"... thats a better explaination.

I'm just curious if you were not approached by the same sort of distributor?

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 01-06-2007, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Encore Mowers

Envy and all you other guys that have replied,

I apperciate the well thought out replies. I value the opinion of guys that are in and have been in the buisness. I have heard similar responses from other people I have spoken to about Encore. It's funny none of them have had anything bad to say about them except they are heavy. They have told me they hold up well and the quality seems to be good. I have heard some complaints about lack of dealers. I have seen the dealer pricing and they seem to be priced to sell, however I won't be able to see any units until after the 15th of this month. hopefully by then I will have gathered enough info on them to make up my mind on wether or not to sell them.

Thank you guys for the replys!
Old 01-06-2007, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Also, when using a non-mainstream product the parts and service become a concern.