Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-05-2007, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Gator Blades

I would like to start mulching and stop bagging some of my customers. Some customers absolutely want bagging. With mulching blades on, can I still put a grass catcher on and catch the grass or will the grass not get thrown into the catcher?
Old 01-05-2007, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood320 View Post
I would like to start mulching and stop bagging some of my customers. Some customers absolutely want bagging. With mulching blades on, can I still put a grass catcher on and catch the grass or will the grass not get thrown into the catcher?
Yeah you can still bag. Just take off your discharge cover plate (obviously) and put your bagger on.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Gator blades work very well for bagging as long as it is NOT wet.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Where is the best place to order Gator blades?
Old 01-06-2007, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My experience has been mixed. I have an Exmark 36" Viking, and have a Grass Gobbler. It has been used nine seasons. In the second year, I bought a set of Gator blades. I quickly learned the discharge output was not enough to put the clippings into the Gobbler. I set the Gators aside.

A few years later, I learned that a hi-lift version was available. I bought a set of those blades, and am able to do light bagging. The only difference between the original Gator and the hi-lift version is a very slight additional upbend on the first (inside) tooth. Just laying the two blades down, I find it hard to determine which is the hi-lift. But, nesting them, I can spot the difference. I am surprised the very slight difference in one tooth will make enough of a change if output flow to either bag, or not bag.

I use my Gators only for Fall leaf mulch work. If there is grass to mow, it is light growth by that time, and the Gator will work (either one). I don't bag leaves. But, my primary blade during 90% of the season is hi-lift, notched airfoil blades. I do some bagging, but mostly discharge. I believe the notched airfoil blades do a better mowing job, better discharge, better spread of clippings than the hi-lift Gator. I do no grass mulching with this mower, depsite having a mulching kit in the shed.

I don't know what blades are being sold these days. My point is just be aware of the differences. Maybe just the hi-lift version is available any more, I don't know.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Sponsor

Gator Blades

Hi Tac
We have a full line of gator blades available, just click on the link below, and check us out. Thanks Jay