Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-01-2001, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

truck letters

Is there any way to make my own truck letters? (stickers that last)
People make there own bumper stickers.Has anyone made there own truck
letters?
Old 07-01-2001, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen the trucks with the self-lettering.

I will comment no further.
Old 07-01-2001, 01:13 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't know. I personally don't think it would be worth the time.

I say let a professional do it.

We got our vinyl truck lettering for a couple hundred bucks. And that was including the guy coming to our house and putting the lettering on. Everything is nice and even and on straight.

I think it is worth it to just get it done by someone that really knows what they are doing.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-01-2001, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another option could be the magnetic signs.

I had these made up for about $140.

I like them because they are neat, clean, and very durable and because I can remove them for road trips or can place them on my backup truck, etc. A very flexible arrangment.

Just a thought.

Old 07-01-2001, 04:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go with a pro! I have vinyl lettering on my truck, and it looks great. I went to the sign shop with a design in mind, and they laid it out for me, cut my logo, and saved my logo to a disk that I then took to the printer for biz cards and letterhead.
I've seen some good looking magnetic signs, but people will mess with you. I have a buddy with mag signs, and I turn them upside down or move them from truck to truck where he works.
Bill Craig
Old 07-01-2001, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Magnetic signs

I used to have the magnetic signs on both trucks. Problem was it messed up the paint! Dealer had to wet sand and rebuff the area the magnets stuck to. Went to vinyl after that.

Scott
Old 07-01-2001, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

PrimeGreen Lawn:

I went out and looked under my signs after reading your post but only saw a little fading on the exposed paint (paint under magnets was fine). The paint is original (1990) and black so a little fading is expected. What happend to your paint job? I've had my signs on for about 2 years but I want to keep an eye out for potential trouble as I am wanting to repaint the truck in the fall.

Thanks for any info!

Bill Craig:

If I find my signs upside down one morning I'll know that your in town. Come on in and have some coffee and doughnuts....
Old 07-01-2001, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Magnet.

A couple of the larger LCO's arround here go by a diffrent name for plowing, etc. Thay use the magnets so thay can switch the signs when needed. there is also another company that does lawns, landscaping, decks, gutters, plowing, window cleaning, etc. Thay have diffrent names for each. I'm sure its for insurance reasons. If one truck goes down thay can put whatever company signs on a backup truck/van/dump.

I use the magnets so I can take them off when I dont want to be noticed. I do work for a friend who has a couple slums Pay real good but dont want that reputation. Or when I dont feel like being the perfect driver.
Old 07-01-2001, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I used to have a 88 Chev pickup that we used magnetic signs on. When we left them on for a couple of weeks or it rained the paint behind the magnet would blister up. We would take them off and let it dry, but it was still covered with small blisters that eventually peeled off. Now we use vinyl on everything.
Old 07-01-2001, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i just didnt want to put that much in to the truck .im going to get a nother may be 4x4 to plow. the truck i have looks good but needs some small rust repairs on the rocker panels and painted (faided 1985 chevy)this truck isnt junk and would look good with stickers on it.
my women is good at making my business cards and i know she could make some letters and a walk behind mower that would be cut out like the stickers you see of the little kid that pis#es on those ford emblems. any more thoughts ? thanks

was looking for the cheap way that would last the rest of the year .
i need to get my name out now since i have people slowing down and looking at my stripes .