Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-08-2007, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

RFQ for equipment and good dealers for deals!

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get the best prices for a large (to me) amount of equipment for this spring and we are going to the landscape congress tomorrow and were thinking of dropping of lists with different dealers. We are willing to drive to get better deals and I wanted to know if anyone does this and if they have actually saved?

2 - Floating, Fixed deck walkbehinds, 36inch
6 - BR600 or equal backpack blowers
5 - commercial 21inch mowers
5 - commercial, stright shaft line trimmers
2 - 12x6 trailers

I know this isn't much, but our problem is that we only have the leasing room for $25000, so we would like to have these come in somewhat close to that, anything more is right out of our pocket and we wouldn't be able to write it off.

I was going to print out an RFQ, and hand it out at the show. There will be different dealers from all over Ontario there. Also, we were thinking about driving to the states for equipment. I emailed Bison Turf, and a couple places in Michigan, but haven't heard back yet. Are there any places within 10 hours of Toronto that you would recommend we email?

We have a really good repair guy, so I am not worried about dealer support. Most of the major brands are fairly close as far as parts availibility, and there is always the internet.

Let me know what you think about doing this,

Thanks,

Jon
Old 01-08-2007, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

my two walk behinds wont fit a 12' trailor. they measure over 12' in length. if you can pull a bigger trailor then get the 16'. you wont be dissatisfeid with all the room.
2006 exmark 56"
2002 exmark 48" walkbehind with velkiex2 -belt drive
2000 exmark 36" walkbehind with velkiex2 -belt drive
classen split drive ta-25 plugger
echo srm230 trimmer
echo srm260 trimmer
echo pb403 blower
stihl ms-250 saw
im on my third scotts spreader
1 big earthway spreader
Old 01-08-2007, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

There will only be one walkbehind per trailer. We have a 16 and it would be too long for what we do. We will have 3 crews this summer and each will have 2 -21s, 2- trimmers, 3 - blowers, and 1 - 36". All that will easily fit on a 12. We have a dump insert for the fall, and another one will come in the fall and we have backup equipment, (our current equipment). We only take care of Townhouse complexes, so I am not worried about room.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 01-08-2007, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry to bump this, but I was really hoping for more advice, I will be going to the landscape show tomorrow and would really like to know if anyone has done this before and the results.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 01-08-2007, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like your needing price quotes
If it were me Id print up the equipment list put your contact info on it and pass it out to whatever dealer/vendor you felt led to
Then give them a set amount of time to get thier quotes to you
That way you can sit down and look over all the quotes at one time
Old 01-09-2007, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't done it ... but if I were you I would go for it. Give them all the same story, that you are looking for that equipment on the list, and are interested in their package price. Make sure you give them a time limit, and stick to it.

Proud Supporter of:
Hustler mowers ~ Xtreme racks ~ STHIL products
Old 01-09-2007, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pristine PM View Post
Sorry to bump this, but I was really hoping for more advice, I will be going to the landscape show tomorrow and would really like to know if anyone has done this before and the results.

Thanks,

Jon
Stop and see me in the Hustler booth (418), I have several dealers that would work with you in Ontario.
Are you in the GTA?

Pj
Old 01-09-2007, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi,
We have already sent walker an RFQ, and we would be happy to have other Hustler dealers bid. We are out of Scarborough.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 01-09-2007, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We bought our Walker at Kitchener Tractor. Did quite a bit of research and now 7 years later it has proved to be a good decision. The Walker is still holding out well and any parts we did need from them they delivered quickly. One warranty job was handled quickly and correctly with no more problems. We haven't bought much from them since because we usually buy at auction sales but if I was buying new I would definitely go there again. They sell a good variety of stuff and were good to deal with. We dealt with Jeff Sallans and Bill Kidd. I did most of the work over the phone and then my wife did the final negotiating herself at their stop. They sell trailers too.
http://www.kitchenertractor.com/index.html