In my advertising.

It's the only job i know,
Where i can walk in circles and talk to myself
And no one thinks i'm crazy.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-Green L&L View Post
I think some people are confused on what a USP is. It is a very important part of a company's structure, just as the core values are.

This thread has contained a lot of Core Values and very little, to no, USP's. A USP is not a value at all. It is a procedure, product, or service that your company provides that separates you for the competition. Values are a perceived USP, but can only be judged by a current relationship. To gain a unfamiliar approval, you have to focus a little deeper.

Listen to the words...Unique Service Provider. It has nothing to do with values. The difference between the 2 is thin, but every successful service company in the world uses both Core Values and a USP in their business plan.
I think I see what you are saying T-G. With the other insight you have provided me, what about this:

"Professional Service with a Personal Touch of TLC!"

I thought about leaving out "Personal" to shorten the line and make it easier to say and read. But I thought that having it there woudl define us as being more personable and custoemr focused than other companies.

I guess I could word it this way:

"Personal Service with a Touch of TLC!"

I just thought that "Proffesional" needed to be there to identify us as a professional company.

What do you think?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total.Lawn.Care View Post

I guess I could word it this way:

"Personal Service with a Touch of TLC!"

What do you think?
I think this is a good headline or motto, but not a USP. Closer though. Think actions or "service". Every landscaper claims to be personal and professional, which are both values. What you're looking for here is a specific conduct, service, equipment, technique, etc.

I'll use ours for instance. Account Manageability is our USP. This means that we must stay ahead of our competitors in this department or it is no longer our USP. We spend the majority of our marketing funds to fulfill this need. We have developed a system of managing accounts that is second-to-none in our industry. I cannot elaborate because of confidentiality, but in short..."It's easier to manage your account with us that it is with Verizon".

Our Core Values are:

Commitment
Excellence
Presentation
Satisfaction

Can you see what I'm getting at now?

Last edited by Team-Green L&L; 01-10-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with team green. We are a mid-sized company I'd say with 15 employees on 4 crews. Our slogan is "Professional Installation & Superior Service." We have a "Commitment to providing superior service" I have a sheet which I'll show here outlining what our company does even after the job is complete. We don't collect the check and go, we keep in contact with our customers to let them know we care. When we do the follow-up the customer no longer considers other companies for work when they feel confident in your service. But these are core values of our company. The desired outcome of the customer offers opportunity for USP.
This is based off a sales newsletter I get:
Here's a real world THINK! example: Let's say you're in the lawn sprinkler business. Your customer calls and says, "My sprinkler is broken. I need it fixed." If you think: Service call, go fix the sprinkler you're thinking wrong. You should think: This is not a problem, this a symptom. What the customer REALLY wants is a green lawn. AHA!

To get that green lawn you have to fix their sprinkler. HERE'S THE OPPORTUNITY: Fix the sprinkler, and give them a bag of fertilizer branded with your companies name to help them achieve what they want: a green lawn. (If at all possible, capitalize your opportunity by offering an USP)

NOTE WELL: It's not what's wrong; it's what they want. THEIR desired outcome. If you just fix the sprinkler, you get a thank you. Just fix what's wrong, and you get nothing. If you help them get what they want, and add a USP, you will earn a referral and word-of-mouth advertising.

As you think things through, ask yourself: Why do they want a green lawn...
Pride, show off, be the envy of the neighborhood, provide a place for the kids to play, garden. Discover these answers, document them in a customer file, and now you can get from USP to relationship.
"Well, I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of, but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know."-Socrates
Old 01-10-2007, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OUR COMMITMENT TO PROVIDING SUPERIOR SERVICE

Northampton Nursery gladly provides, our clients, a comprehensive six step customer service policy.

1)Project walk through – the designer/salesperson will visit the site, together with the construction manager, prior to your project’s commencement to ensure that the installation team understands your project and any unique elements of the site.

2)How to properly maintain your landscape – upon completion of your project, we will provide detailed advice and recommendations on how to maintain your landscape or hardscape for best results.

3)Customer satisfaction survey – upon completion of your project we will leave a survey to measure your satisfaction and gather your feedback.

4)Pro-active 30 day follow-up – within 30 days of your project’s completion a member of our team will revisit the site to inspect your project.

a) If we notice any warranty work that is required, we will schedule it to be completed.
b) If necessary, we will supply further advice and recommendations that may help in the care and maintenance of your project.
c) If we notice any warranty work that is required, we will schedule it to be completed in the upcoming spring planting season.
d) If necessary, we will supply further advice and recommendations that may help in the care and maintenance of your project.

5) If you have any questions or concerns after the 30 day follow-up, please call our office at (###) ###-#### and we will assist you in any way possible.

6) Pro-active winter follow-up – as performed during the 30 day follow-up, we will revisit the site during the first winter following your project’s completion.

PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION & SUPERIOR SERVICE
"Well, I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of, but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know."-Socrates
Old 01-10-2007, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

NorthHampton, your procedures are great and I am happy to see the commitment, but to stay on track...that was far from a USP. That was a Customer Service policy and procedure, which was well written.

Let me say this, not everyone will know what their USP is. Most companies restructure 2-3 times before they establish a USP. Hell, we've been open for 6 years now and just decided on ours last year.

The point in this part of your establishment is to differentiate your company. If you call the next successful landscaping company and they repeat what you said...it's not a USP.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

How about this...." If I don't do it I know someone that Does"

Beautifying the world one yard at-a-time...
www.keenkutlandscaping.com
Old 01-10-2007, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkls2006 View Post
How about this...." If I don't do it I know someone that Does"
Sounds like a drug dealer!
Old 01-10-2007, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you figure??????

Beautifying the world one yard at-a-time...
www.keenkutlandscaping.com
Old 01-10-2007, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"If I don't have what your looking for, my buddy does. Whatchu need!"