Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-10-2007, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

How about "Every Stone Is Placed As If It Was My Own"???????(We do allot of hardscaping)

Beautifying the world one yard at-a-time...
www.keenkutlandscaping.com
Old 01-10-2007, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ESP

Eviromental Stewardship Program

and

IPM

Xeriscape
Old 01-10-2007, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'm starting to get this...but on that note I'm probably wrong. Our sales team at my company consists of 3 people. We meet every week for collective ideas and strategies to sell the leads we've quoted and close the leads we're working on. Our owner suggested we all write a "30- second commercial" that we could say when we meet a customer that sets us apart. These were mine. I'd like to edit these and add in a USP, but obviously am struggling. We use many products other companies don't, but none are actual USP's.
"Well, I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of, but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know."-Socrates
Old 01-10-2007, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Zaprala View Post
I think I'm starting to get this...but on that note I'm probably wrong. Our sales team at my company consists of 3 people. We meet every week for collective ideas and strategies to sell the leads we've quoted and close the leads we're working on. Our owner suggested we all write a "30- second commercial" that we could say when we meet a customer that sets us apart. These were mine. I'd like to edit these and add in a USP, but obviously am struggling. We use many products other companies don't, but none are actual USP's.
I think what you have is closer to a repositioning statement.

If you are selling a service, it is very likely your prospect already has a vendor and it is not you. So you have to re-position from the current vendor.

I think things like a 30 year old family owned business. We live here and work here ( helps against nationals ) says something. If you have to, you can re-inforce that you would not have survived had you not had the highest of standards.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I definately use our family owned and operated business to our advantage. I'm wondering if I should take it a step furthur by saying we're growing and staying local. Or something along those lines, like we're commited to the community (we donate hardscaping and landscaping at least 3 times a year at 3 locations to local schools, churches and township buildings) So maybe saying we're giving back to the community. What do you think?
"Well, I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of, but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know."-Socrates
Old 01-10-2007, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I definately use our family owned and operated business to our advantage. I'm wondering if I should take it a step furthur by saying we're growing and staying local. Or something along those lines, like we're commited to the community (we donate hardscaping and landscaping at least 3 times a year at 3 locations to local schools, churches and township buildings) So maybe saying we're giving back to the community. What do you think?
Using your history with the community is a great ad point, but again...not a USP. I'm sure your company has one to be around for so long. The key is to figure out what it is.

Ask yourself "Why have we grown"
"What do we offer the client"
"What strengthens our structure within"

By figuring out the USP, you will be better at closing the deal because you will avoid jardon and hold the attention of the listener. Closing, with a USP statement, is as simple as knowing when to stop talking and start signing.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Realize people are not going to get to excited about spending money on their yard. What you need to do is get some emotional buy in based on how what you do that will make their lives better. Don't tell them how, just guide them and let them fill in the blanks. Their imagination is much better than any picture you could paint.

Here are some guidelines for creating your USP

Keep it short it should be a phrase not a sentence

Convey a positive feeling

Keep it vague let people use their imagination

Don't define your service as a commodity

Focus on the emotional gratification not features and benefits

Give it impact, a little punch.

Here are some examples of popular USP's

Avis "we try harder"
Coke "its the real thing"
Nike "just do it"

Hope this helps. Don't feel bad it is a hard one to grasp even with the guidelines.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know who to attach this quote to but someone mentioned it previously. If you have to tell someone why you are different, what sets you apart. Then I would contend you really are not that different.

Everyone claims to care and provide better service and so on.

If you are different they will see it from the start.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Attention to the Details!!"

Ford F150 XL Truck 1998
6 x 10 Trailrite Trailer w/ramp
Husqvarna MZT 52 mower
Big Dog C142 mower
RedMax BCZ2401S Trimmer
Stihl FS-55-T Trimmer
Husqvarna 570BTS Backpack blower
Husqvarna 445 Chain Saw
Redmax HB280 hand held blower
Echo HC-150 gas hedge trimmer
Jungle Jack
Wright Grass Gobbler
Arien's dual stage 625E snowthrower

Old 01-10-2007, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
This is getting a little off thread but yes, you should do all of those things but don't make a script. You will find ways to get that into conversation.